[SOLVED] PC Restarting itself.

3instein

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
So this happens while I'm playing Dota 2. It starts smoothly but then when I'm in a match, my PC restarts itself as if the power has gone out but then starts again immediately.
What I have tried is stress testing my CPU and GPU but no sign of problem. So overheat and power supply failure can be ruled out I suppose. I do recently upgrade from GTX 980 to GTX 1080Ti.
Specs :
i7-4790 ( Temp's normal )
16 gigs of ram
950w psu
gtx 1080ti

Games that I have tested :
Sid Meier's Civ VI ( OK )
Kingdom Come Deliverance ( OK )
Quantum Break ( NOT OK )

And it seems that when I limit my fps to 60, it's not happening right away but after 20-30 minutes of gaming. But in the case of Quantum Break, it literally restarts when I open it.

Anything would be really helpful! Thanks!

Solution
VenomRX 950W
This would be red flag number 1.
Not a brand i have ever heard of, and do not appear in any testing procedures. It would appear to be a very poor quality unit. And poor quality PSUs are renowned for causing these kind of problems, and damaging other components.

Typically with random restarts, outside of software, the first ports of call are PSU and GPU.

I'd be tempted to remove the GPU and see if the issue persists, if it stops, you know it's one or the other, the only way to properly test if it the GPU is to replace for a like for like GPU and retest. But regardless, you will want to upgrade your PSU to a good quality unit, before it risks damaging other components. And I would highly suspect that this could...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So overheat and power supply failure can be ruled out I suppose
Not at all. In fact I would still keep these firmly as 2 major culprits. More so the PSU.
  • What exact make and model PSU is it?
  • What motherboard do you have?
  • Do you have all latest drivers installed (including MB / chipset drivers?)
  • What RAM make and model do you have? Are they from the same pack?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • What are individual CPU core temperatures under heavy load? (Not just the overall package).
  • What are GPU temperatures under heavy load?
  • Does the restarting only ever occur with games?
  • Has the issue only occurred since upgrading the GPU?

3instein

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Not at all. In fact I would still keep these firmly as 2 major culprits. More so the PSU.
  • What exact make and model PSU is it?
  • What motherboard do you have?
  • Do you have all latest drivers installed (including MB / chipset drivers?)
  • What RAM make and model do you have? Are they from the same pack?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • What are individual CPU core temperatures under heavy load? (Not just the overall package).
  • What are GPU temperatures under heavy load?
  • Does the restarting only ever occur with games?
  • Has the issue only occurred since upgrading the GPU?
  • VenomRX 950W ( Don’t know what model ).
  • MSI Z97-G43 ( BIOS Updated ).
  • Checked update for all drivers
  • HyperX 2x8 DDR3 RAM 1866 Mhz
  • The invidual CPU core is around 50-60c during heavy load.
  • GPU temp was around 60-70c during heavy load
  • Yes, it only occurs with games. Tried rendering something and turns out fine. Tried stress testing my rig and turns out fine too.
  • Yes, since I upgraded my GPU this problem occurs.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
VenomRX 950W
Not a brand i have ever heard of, and do not appear in any testing procedures. It would appear to be a very poor quality unit. And poor quality PSUs are renowned for causing these kind of problems, and damaging other components.

Typically with random restarts, outside of software, the first ports of call are PSU and GPU.

I'd be tempted to remove the GPU and see if the issue persists, if it stops, you know it's one or the other, the only way to properly test if it the GPU is to replace for a like for like GPU and retest. But regardless, you will want to upgrade your PSU to a good quality unit, before it risks damaging other components. And I would highly suspect that this could well be the cause of the issue - just no guarantees until it's tried.

Last edited:
Solution

3instein

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019

I'd be tempted to remove the GPU and see if the issue persists, if it stops, you know it's one or the other, the only way to properly test if it the GPU is to replace for a like for like GPU and retest. But regardless, you will want to upgrade your GPU to a good quality unit, before it risks damaging other components. And I would highly suspect that this could well be the cause of the issue - just no guarantees until it's tried.
Thank you for your advice. Now I changed my psu to seasonic prime ultra and it runs without problem. Would never use any shady products ever again!

Reactions: PC Tailor