Question Pc Restarting mid game, been happening for a month.

Dec 8, 2020
Hey everyone, I recently built a Ryzen 3600 1070 3 fan Gigabyte g1 gaming pc with 16 gigs of ddr4 ram, after building the PC, I played on a bunch of triple A titles and games and it was perfectly fine ,after however shortly after, every time now I play a triple A game such as Assassin creed Valhalla, Horizon zero dawn and such other games, my Pc restarts or reboots into boot and then just boots up.

I did a stress test on GPU with Furmark, and it hasn't shut down my pc, I checked for overheating on cpu and the temps seem at 40-50-60 and Gpu wise it's 41-50-60-70, however the computer does not restart under normal usage such as browsing or using variety of softwares, only during gaming, but also the fact is that It does not shut down with most games, just high end load games, My friend told me to check for a new PSU because that could be the case but I don't know If I should spend on that or what to do.

I reinstalled the windows and did multiple things, installed a new cooler onto the ryzen 5 3600 to avoid overheating, and it still persisted, When I had my 1050ti, everything was fine without shutdown, and after 2 weeks of usage with the card, the cpu, Ram, all brand new except PSU and (somewhat used Graphic card) it started happening, I can play games like Dota, Csgo, Black ops 1-2 or low end games with ease and no shut downs or reboots, but with high end intensity games, it will restart, and It will restart mid game, not instantly, sometimes It will cause my computer to restart on the main menu (in dota for example.) and It will not restart during the match.

My specs are:-

Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia 1070 3 fan G1
Cx600 Power supply(I haven't changed since the old build)
Msi B450 Tomohawk Max

I don't know what's going on with this, the computer restarts in certain stages, during gaming with triple A titles, and sometimes in the main menu of some games or if you select certain options ( such as look at a chest in csgo) etc. any help?

Last edited:

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
+1 on the PSU. I had the same issue on my old version of my gaming pc where it would restart after playing games with heavy loads on the 2070 Super. Replaced the psu and everything has been flawless since.

I would try to borrow a PSU and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't you will need to replace the PSU

Dec 8, 2020
I've had the PSU since 2017 around March, and it ran good with the 1050TI and Intel i5 4th gen and some old mobo, after the upgrade to a b450 tomohawk max and 3600 and 16 ddr4 since my previous was ddr3 8 gigs with 1050ti, 2 weeks into the new PC, the problem kept happening.

I checked the furmark test twice now and GPU still goes up to 70c without restarting, but when In game even thought it might go to 75-80, due to high graphical settings etc, it restarts, so PSU?

Screenshot-2020-12-08-193804.png

Last edited:
A graphics card will draw extra power when heavily loaded.
That plus the cpu may be giving you inconsistent or insufficient power.
The only way to tell for certain is to replace the psu with a known good unit of sufficient power.
Borrow one if you can.
Otherwise buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee if you need to return it.

Or, consider investing in a top quality unit in anticipation of future upgrades. Look to something like a 750w unit.
It will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
I like the seasonic focus units with a 7 or 10 year warranty.
Yes, you will pay more.

Dec 8, 2020
A graphics card will draw extra power when heavily loaded.
That plus the cpu may be giving you inconsistent or insufficient power.
The only way to tell for certain is to replace the psu with a known good unit of sufficient power.
Borrow one if you can.
Otherwise buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee if you need to return it.

Or, consider investing in a top quality unit in anticipation of future upgrades. Look to something like a 750w unit.
It will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
I like the seasonic focus units with a 7 or 10 year warranty.
Yes, you will pay more.
I didn't even think about that, when playing a game, CPU and GPU will use power so any fault will obviously cause it to restart my PC?

Since a Gpu stress test didn't cause it to restart, any softwares in particular that can cause CPU stress test? thus I can confirm if it's really the PSU.

I will try to get a PSU but does it matter if I get a modular semi modular or non modular or no?

Offhand, I can't think of a stress tester app that will simultaneously push both the cpu and gpu to the limits.
I am certain that there are some.

But, the only real test is to see if a known good psu replacement fixes the problem.

Modular/semi/full is no issue from a performance point of view.
From a cable management point of view, not having to hide unused power leads is nice.
But, with most cases, there is always a place to hide unused cables out of sight and out of the cooling airstream.

Semi modular has hard wired leads that everybody is expected to use.
It is pretty much the equivalent to full modular.

Dec 8, 2020
Offhand, I can't think of a stress tester app that will simultaneously push both the cpu and gpu to the limits.
I am certain that there are some.

But, the only real test is to see if a known good psu replacement fixes the problem.

Modular/semi/full is no issue from a performance point of view.
From a cable management point of view, not having to hide unused power leads is nice.
But, with most cases, there is always a place to hide unused cables out of sight and out of the cooling airstream.

Semi modular has hard wired leads that everybody is expected to use.
It is pretty much the equivalent to full modular.
I wanted to do a separate CPU stress test to check if it was the CPU as well but the temps seem to be stable around 40 to 50, and for the PSU, is a 750W non modular fine or modular? I am going to give my cx600 for some money back and use that money to get a new power supply of 750W.

You might try occt as a stress tester.

I would not care about modular/semi or not.
I would care most about psu quality.
Pick a tier 1/2 unit from a quality list such as this:

I like the seasonic focus units with a 7/10 year warranty.
They are often on sale this time of the year.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, that old CX series wasn't even all that good when it was news, it was always a poor choice for systems with GPUs that required supplementary power. Luckily, it's been out of production and the much better modern CX series replaced it.

For something with a modern x70 class GPU, I wouldn't go anywhere under a Tier B in the list in the sticky in our power supply forum.

Dec 8, 2020
Just an update, so on the recent Cyberpunk, I was playing and everytime I play on it, the gpu and cpu temps are 70-75-79 (GPU) and cpu varies around 50-60 but the game won't make my pc shut down, and if I go into a game like Asassin creed Valhalla or Horizon zero dawn, and play those games for a bit (5-10-15 mins) The pc Shuts down, although with cyberpunk I played for 9 hours straight without an issue and continue to play without one, does this clarify or mean anything?

Just an update, so on the recent Cyberpunk, I was playing and everytime I play on it, the gpu and cpu temps are 70-75-79 (GPU) and cpu varies around 50-60 but the game won't make my pc shut down, and if I go into a game like Asassin creed Valhalla or Horizon zero dawn, and play those games for a bit (5-10-15 mins) The pc Shuts down, although with cyberpunk I played for 9 hours straight without an issue and continue to play without one, does this clarify or mean anything?
It suggests to me that you may need a game patch if the problem happens on games with similar game engines.
I do not know if that is the case.

A graphics card @80c. is normal, and a cpu @60c. should also be good .
Still a failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.HWmonitor will tell you the current, minimum, and max cpu temperatures.
If the max is high enough to cause throttling, that is your problem
I think that point is around 95c. for ryzen.

You note that this problem did not exist a while ago?
What might have changed since all was well?
Perhaps you have contracted a virus or malware.
Perhaps windows update screwed something up.

See if you can't use system restore to reset your pc back to a time when all was well.

Dec 8, 2020
It suggests to me that you may need a game patch if the problem happens on games with similar game engines.
I do not know if that is the case.

A graphics card @80c. is normal, and a cpu @60c. should also be good .
Still a failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.HWmonitor will tell you the current, minimum, and max cpu temperatures.
If the max is high enough to cause throttling, that is your problem
I think that point is around 95c. for ryzen.

You note that this problem did not exist a while ago?
What might have changed since all was well?
Perhaps you have contracted a virus or malware.
Perhaps windows update screwed something up.

See if you can't use system restore to reset your pc back to a time when all was well.
I checked my MSI afterburner and apparently my gpu limit is @83c should I increase that or? cpu wise it used to go 70+ but after replacing cooler, it's fine, I used HW monitor in cyberpunk for 9 hours straight and temp was same 70-79 gpu and 50-65/70 on cpu max.

I don't know now what's the issue, is it the PSU? what is it...

And for the problem existing a while ago, ehm like I stated, it happened 2 weeks after the star wars game, it was all fine, temp was a lot too but then instantly boom randomly in random games it kept restarting my pc, also in certain main menus of games, certain options being changed triggered the shut down, I did install a fresh new windows and the problem persisted.