Question PC restarting randomly, recurring problem thought solved

May 19, 2019
So holy heck, I've been losing my mind with this...
I work as a graphical illustrator and so it means my pc is sorta my lifes blood. it goes down I go down; its been going down lately.

Some months back I started having the machine randomly reset on me and bluescreen. a friend of mine who's a tech diagnosed it as being the mobo was shot, along with the RAM according
to the windows dump files. ended up breaking the bank having to replace the old motherboard to a new asus b350 because the old AM3+ compatable board I was using was no longer in common manufacture or something. had to buy a new ryzen to go with the new socket and new RAM.

cut to about 2 months later, it begins resetting again. try everything I know to fix this. keep it cool, keep it under low load-- it just randomly goes kaput. when observing the case for any damage, I notice the PSU (the old one) has its fan not turning on. its a bronze rated corsair 750x. I thought it was really strange and also noticed that the the back exhaust fan wasnt turning much, like it wasnt getting enough power. checking the board itself, its easy diagnosis LED was lighting up for the CPU, according to the manual it was 'not there or failed'. I disassembled, cleaned (canned air, occational 90% alcohol) and then reseated the CPU. seems to have worked for a while before it began exhibiting the same behavior, gradually getting worse over time to the point where it wouldnt work at all.

Trying to correlate any external factors, I found out from an electrician friend of mine that it could just be the PSU failing due to my appartments faulty wiring and my old surge protectors. something to the tune of insufficent voltage on a woefully outdated and overtaxed breaker panel. on that, I purchased a new power supply from newegg. when getting it, the thing seemed to be DOA cause it wouldnt even turn on. upon getting ANOTHER power supply (this time from amazon) a gold rated rosewill photon 650, and putting it in the system, it worked.

until last night. its been about 3 or 4 weeks since the part came in. it was running smoothly with no hiccups the whole time. last night after work, I had booted up a game to relax for a few before bed, only for the machine to crash out in the same fashion. sudden reset and then CPU error LED on the board with the fan struggling to keep on.

I should mention this machine was hooked up to the power circuit downstairs so as to avoid exposing it to the bad circuit upstairs since, though because it was found out that my surge protectors were OLD, one wasnt used for the extention cord hooked to the PC power supply. however the other roommates in the house have not had any of the same problems which is concerning me-- they both have more delicate rigs than mine.

now if I leave the PC unplugged and cycle the on/off switch on the PSU a few times, it will work again, but it depeneds. I dont have more data for the more recent resets. the first time I did this, the machine worked for a few minutes and cut back out. then leaving it off for about 20 minutes, cycling and turning it back on, it apparently worked longer. I fell asleep watching youtube on it only to wake up to sometime in the 8 hours I was asleep it reset and returned to the errored state with the CPU. I cycled it about 20 minutes ago and am on it now with seemingly no problem to write this message but I'm sure it will randomly reset again. I dont think a problem is solved so easily and I'm really scared its something worse. mind you, I have gutted and replaced every part in this machine at this point save for the dusty old GTX 1070 and original HDD I have in it. I am at wits end, and know no one locally who can service the machine that I trust (and who wont bend me over a barrel for money I do not have). I borrowed a new protected power strip for the pc but I'm terrified its already damaged beyond saving.

PARTS LISTING:
asus b350 motherboard, AM4 socket
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHZ CPU
16GB (2x8) GSKILL FORTIS DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX 1070 Graphics Card*
Rosewill Photon 650 Gold rated Powersupply
2TB Toshiba HDD*
2TB Barracuda HDD
one optical drive (DVD-RW)
4 stock case fans for the Thermaltake level 10 GT full tower case (3x200mm, 1x140mm)

PERIPHERALS: (in case it matters)
1x Xbox One Wired Controller
Blue Snowball Mic
Wired Keyboard (generic)
Logitech Wireless Mouse
2x Acer 24" monitors
Insperoy H950P Graphical Tablet (for illustrating)
Logitech webcam (c920 I think)

please-- I do my best to keep this machine running. its what keeps food on the table for me and I cant afford this kinda crap anymore. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

replacing the PSU clears that as the cuprit, which moves us to RAM, you replaced it but have you tested it?
when you replaced the motherboard did you re-install windows and all your software?

May 19, 2019
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

replacing the PSU clears that as the cuprit, which moves us to RAM, you replaced it but have you tested it?
when you replaced the motherboard did you re-install windows and all your software?

I did not-- I have it all still running the original software- though I installed what new drivers that were needed by the new components. and I'm not sure if theres a spare PSU around. I'll see if theres something available... would you think this sort of thing would come with a cheap test from a local repair shop?