PC restarting under heavy load. Think its my CPU or CPU cooler

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
Ok. So a couple months back I had my cooler master hyper 212 evo installed... That's when I had my gtx 970. So I had my i5 4670k oc to 4.4ghz, and I was fine. For some reason though, Task Manager says it's at 5.3ghz.. But I didn't question it.. So about a month ago I got an asus 1070 strix III (or whatever the name is, im usually and MSI guy but I got asus) and I used the strix III app to oc the life out of my 1070.. I didn't have problems, until I used EVGA Precision X oc it instead, so I could oc more than the ASUS app would let me. I closed ASUS STRIX OC tool, and made sure it wasnt stil running by checking the process in Task manager, and For a couple hours my gaming was fine. Had like 60 degress on gpu. Then after like 4 hours it would say "oops your pc has shut down." blah blah blah. I tried turning it on, and i'd hear the gpu fans at max speed on bootup. Then that blue screen that said oops again. Then the next time it booted up, my gpu fans were silent which meant the oc was off. I had no problems till I oc it again with precision X... so I uninstalled it and then I used the ASUS app to oc it.. But then more crashes... which made no sense because it was fine before I got precision X.. It cant be a PSU problem because I havbe a corsair cx600 and the gtx 970 used more power... So what I DO remember is it took me 3 hours to install the cooler master hyper 212 evo and it almost fell out and I had the thermal paste constantly ebing removed... So maybe the air bubbles and blah blah might be the issues and maybe the cpu is overheating but I havent checked that.. Help pls because I dont want this 1070 dying on me thats my baby <3

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

it can totally be your psu, the CX are budget level not made to be pushed

you really should not be overclocking at all on it

also why are you not monitoring cpu temps while you play?

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I never really bothered to get CPU - Z . Is it odd that task manager is saying that it's clocked at 5.3 ghz?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

monitor cpu/gpu temps while you play a game

undo your overclocks until you get a proper psu

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

dammit... Its odd though because when I had my 760 I oc the life out of it and no problems.. The 970 too I used the MSI app and used OC.. but what PSU should I replace it with then? Back in the good old 7xx series days, I remember people talking about some EVGA 750 w psu. Is that the route I should go?

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

this good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139142&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink2-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3821802&SID=itti1o5io60035wt00053

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

overkill

a GOOD 550w is plenty

this is 620w but at a great price:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=52174&promoid=1300

so does undoing the overclocks stop the crashing?

have you started monitoring cpu temps?

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

how is that overkill? Wouldn't that be ideal? Or is that for sli only? if not then why have 500w psu's? butno sorry I havce been doing hw. I will try tomorrow. it is 12 am where I am. Undoing the oc on my gpu didnt crash anything. I just playe dAssasins creed syndicate for bit and nothing. Usuallyit will crash in 5 to 10 minuets sometimes instantly. I will try tomorrow, hopefull yyou will be available <,<