[SOLVED] PC restarting unexpectedly after booting and the keep re-cycle

Jan 28, 2019
Hi all,

It would be slight long passage but I wish someone reads.
This problem occurs right after I migrating my OS to a new SSD from HDD using minitool software. For the first time it shuts down after 20mins of running and restarts again, then repeat unoccasionally, sometimes few hours, sometimes right after starting my pc into login page then start. Then starts getting worse that each restarts never make it to 10mins.
Suspecting my software, so I format both my HDD and SSD and install OS thru a pendrive, but same thing happened.
I started the hardware troubleshooting as below sequence where the problem still there.
1. Swapping disks one at a time and replacing PSU
2. Ensuring no components are "loose" from mobo.
3. Trying with new ram stick and different slot.
Lastly bring out the whole mobo from chassis eliminating short circuits and chassis faulty maybe? Then I reassemble everything even resitting the CPU and jumpstart it. Nothing changed. I'm out of idea and I hope the problem lies on the MOBO, coz I'm planning to get a new one, but to be sure I need more advice before replacing parts aimlessly.

Solution
This may be completely off the mark but I am just suggesting as you seem to have checked thoroughly already... I once had problem with SSD causing crashes and restarts because of the firmware, once I updated it was okay. Maybe check firmware updates for your other hardware too, you didn't mention doing that.

I am assuming you also tried a clean install of windows with same problem? Not just the migrated clone?

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
This may be completely off the mark but I am just suggesting as you seem to have checked thoroughly already... I once had problem with SSD causing crashes and restarts because of the firmware, once I updated it was okay. Maybe check firmware updates for your other hardware too, you didn't mention doing that.

I am assuming you also tried a clean install of windows with same problem? Not just the migrated clone?

Solution

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

np, happens...

only other things I can really think of for your situation is checking temps on all your hardware, make sure the restarts are not coming from overheating somewhere... also check event viewer and reliability monitor and see if you can find any system events that coincide with the restarts... windows has an "auto-restart on sys failure option" which if enabled could be causing restarts due to sys errors. Good luck