[SOLVED] PC restarting when gaming - is this a failing PSU?

Dec 1, 2020
I've had this problem for a year and I am desperate for some kind of resolution. Sorry for the lack of info as I'm not super techy.
Issue: my PC will restart when gaming. No BSOD or error code, just a normal reset as if I restarted my PC. I get this issue mostly with Overwatch, sometimes after a few matches, other times only if I launch the game.
Things I've done:
  • Wiped PC and re-installed Windows 10 on a different SSD.
  • Checked temps (they were fine).
  • Replaced RAM.
  • Stress-tested CPU and GPU at the same time. It did cut out and restart at some point. So I tried it with a different GPU and it still cut out.
  • Cleaned and dusted PC.
  • Updated drivers.
  • Tried playing on lower graphics settings and it stills restarts.
  • Changed DVI cable to DisplayPort (don't ask me why I was using a DVI cable...
  • Gave my PC to a repair tech who said the problem was a software issue (clearly not, as it's still cutting out!)
I was told that this could either be a CPU, motherboard or GPU issue. However the GPU issue is kind of ruled out as it still cut out with a different, functional GPU. I currently have a 650w PSU with a GTX 1070 which I thought would be enough power, but I'm stumped as to what this could be. PC otherwise runs fine but I seem to be running into the same problems of resets with games in particular. Is the only thing left to do to try a different PSU? Thanks guys!
Edit: forgot to mention that I've also updated my BIOS recently too.

Solution
Probably was. You originally said 650W, but then when you listed the PSU, it was 550W.

CoolerMaster doesn't generally make good PSUs, the exception being the MWE V2, which is acceptable.

The EVGA BQ model isn't exactly a great one, either, but, was good enough to prove that your existing PSU was a problem.
Oct 29, 2020
There is a clue which points to temperature stress. When you stress test CPU and GPU at the same time it restarted. Monitoring temperature may not be accurate as there may be hotspots on the motherboard which are not monitored. Try this test: Take off your casing panel and blow a fan at the PC internal. Play your game longer than the time you normally play and see if it restarts. If it is stable it could be that your PC needs more airflow.

Dec 1, 2020
There is a clue which points to temperature stress. When you stress test CPU and GPU at the same time it restarted. Monitoring temperature may not be accurate as there may be hotspots on the motherboard which are not monitored. Try this test: Take off your casing panel and blow a fan at the PC internal. Play your game longer than the time you normally play and see if it restarts. If it is stable it could be that your PC needs more airflow.

Hi, I did stress test today with my new EVGA 650w BQ PSU... no cut-outs or restarts thus far. I have also gamed 2 days running and seems to be fine... maybe it was PSU issue?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Probably was. You originally said 650W, but then when you listed the PSU, it was 550W.

CoolerMaster doesn't generally make good PSUs, the exception being the MWE V2, which is acceptable.

The EVGA BQ model isn't exactly a great one, either, but, was good enough to prove that your existing PSU was a problem.

Solution