[SOLVED] PC restarting when gaming or video editing ?

Mar 5, 2021
Hi everyone! I have a friend who has an entry level gaming PC, and it started restarting about a month ago (he did not make any hardware changes) when gaming and when editing with Adobe Premier Pro.

This is his computer specs:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M Gaming 5
  • CPU: Intel i7-7700
  • Drives: 1 x 250GB SSD + 1 x 1TB HDD
  • RAM: 8GB
  • GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
  • PSU: Corsair VS550
I have my computer, so I've been doing some tests mixing components. What I've tried:

• Changing the RAM: replacing the 8GB DIMM with a 16GB DIMM. The problem still persists,
  • Changing the Drives: replacing the SSD and HDD with a NVMe drive. The problem still persists.
  • Changing the PSU: replacing the PSU with a Seasonic GX-850. The problem is fixed. With this, I thought the issue was definitly on the PSU. But then I tried the PSU with the GPU on my computer, and we had no restarts. This was the new computer specs:

• Motherboard: Asus TUF-Gaming Z490-Plus
  • CPU: Intel i9-10900
  • Drives: 1 x 1TB NVMe
  • RAM: 32GB
  • GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
  • PSU: Corsair VS550
Before this, I tried this specs but with the Seasonic GX-850 to rule out a GPU problem, and no restarts either.

Any thoughs? Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

System's that restart when taxed or stressed is often caused by two things;
a| The PSU is incapable of delivering power to the entire system
or
b| The system is protecting itself from overheating.

The PSU listed in your specs isn't reliably built. It shouldn't be anywhere near that i9, mind you and that motherboard.

If you're certain it's not the PSU, inspect the CPU socket for your friend's system for any bent or broken pins. Then identify which slots the rams are populating on the motherboard. Then check to see what BIOS version and OS version your friend's platform is on.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

System's that restart when taxed or stressed is often caused by two things;
a| The PSU is incapable of delivering power to the entire system
or
b| The system is protecting itself from overheating.

The PSU listed in your specs isn't reliably built. It shouldn't be anywhere near that i9, mind you and that motherboard.

If you're certain it's not the PSU, inspect the CPU socket for your friend's system for any bent or broken pins. Then identify which slots the rams are populating on the motherboard. Then check to see what BIOS version and OS version your friend's platform is on.

Solution
Mar 5, 2021
Great, thank you for the reply Lutfij! I'll try that. I really think is a PSU problem, I was struck by the fact that the PSU worked with a different mother and CPU. He probably ends up buying a new PSU, and I hope the issues will stop. Fingers cross 🤞.

TRENDING THREADS