PC Restarting while gaming.

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
So I just bought the Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 8gb, having switched from a GTX 780. All of a sudden, my PC is running into the issue of restarting while gaming. It's completely indiscriminate as well, occuring in higher intensity games such as Arma 3, all the way down to an older less demanding game such as Portal. I used the DDU software offered by Guru3D to fully uninstall all my drivers, then reinstalled directly from AMD, and it is still occuring. Not sure what to do, but now I'm getting wary of AMD and am thinking of RMA'ing and going with a 1070 instead. My PSU is 3 years old, but again this issue didn't arise until I replaced the 780, and according to the WhoCrashed program, it is being caused by "atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)." Kind of at the end of my rope here.

PC Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
Processor: Intel Core-i7 4790k
Graphics: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8gb
PSU: Corsair HX850 Semi Modular 80+ Gold
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

are you overclocking the gpu?

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
I clicked the wrong button voting on that sorry. The GPU comes overclocked, I have not touched the settings for it, just left it at what Sapphire sent it at.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

do you monitor cpu temps?

if not install msi afterburner

turn on cpu/gpu temp monitoring in the OSD

play a game for a bit, and post back with max temps

another thing you can try:

go into radeon settings > gaming > global settings > global overdrive

set gpu clock to 0 ( 0 = not overclocked )

and increase power limit to +20%

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Is there a special way to post those up? I use Afterburner and it's OSD in game. While playing my card never goes above 72, however the usage is constantly at 100%. This is new to me, as my nVidia cards would always waver around 40-60% GPU usage while in game. Also I do not see a Global Overdrive setting in AMD settings

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you want usage as high as possible, usually means you are getting the performance you paid for

however if you are doing nothing, and usage is still 100% then you have something going on, like miner software malware

what about your cpu temps?

take a picture, then upload it to a free image website like imgur and post the link here

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

temps look good

try this:

go into radeon settings > gaming > global settings > global overdrive

set gpu clock to 0 ( 0 = not overclocked )

and increase power limit to +20%

play a game and see if you still reboot

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Ah geez, I keep clicking the wrong thing, sorry. It's late and I'm tired. When I go into Global Settings I do not see a Global Overdrive option.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

there should be two "buttons" at the top when you go into global settings

"global graphics" and "global overdrive"

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Yea I don't get the overdrive, instead I get "Global Graphics" and "Global WattMan"
http://imgur.com/VxLPrUc

These are my settings for WattMan: http://imgur.com/gggDr9Q
However, every time I set the power limit to 20% it auto resets it back to 0 after pressing apply

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

>.>

go into it and set frequency (%) to 0

this should also help

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094984/components-graphics/how-to-use-amds-wattman-the-powerful-new-overclocking-tool-for-radeon-graphics-cards.html

i'm sad they choose to not give this to us 290x users

Ripjawed

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
Well, I did a little more digging and enabled a few settings in my Bios and discovered that my PSU was failing. Replaced it and no more issues. Appreciate all your help my friend.