Question PC restarting while playing games after upgrading the PSU ?

AuzEll

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
So back in April I built a new gaming PC with more modern components using the same 650W power supply from my old one knowing it would be just barely enough power to support everything else. And the rig worked completely fine, but a month ago I bought myself an new NVME SSD and a new power supply too, since I figured I would need to upgrade it eventually and I might as well do it now. I upgraded PSU to an EVGA 850 G5. I also upgraded to Windows 11 shortly after I installed these.

Now for some reason since I installed those two parts I started having issues where while I was gaming the fans in my PC would randomly shoot up to 100% for up to 30 seconds before returning to normal (I couldn't figure out specifically which this was affecting) but I was able to fix this issue with fan control software. But since a week ago I'm now having a new issue where my whole PC will just restart in the middle of gaming, with or without the fan control software active.

The only information I've been able to gather from research is that this is usually a result of either the CPU overheating or an insufficient power. I know the CPU isn't the problem because I've tried running stress tests where it gets to 90-100 degrees and my rig is fine. And my PSU is literally 200W better than my previous one, which gave no issues like this at all. Not to mention the only game I've been playing the last couple of weeks is Persona 5 Royal which I'm pretty sure is far from the most hardware intensive PC game.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that I've bought a defective power supply but I want to know for sure before I consult the warranty. Any outside opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

AuzEll

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
What are the full system specs includes the brand and model of the old 650w PSU.

EVGA G5 has issues with some GPUs. Without knowing which GPU you have exactly it's hard to say what the culprit is.
The GPU I have is also EVGA

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A
CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4-3600, CL16
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Elite AX
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce RTX 3070 FTW3 8GB
SSD(s): Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (this is the new one), & Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB

Old Power Supply: CoolerMaster V650 Gold

AuzEll

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Semi modular or fully modular?

Anyhow, it's a better unit than an EVGA G5. The only disadvantage of the Cooler Master unit is that it came with a single daisy chained PCI-e cable.
It's semi-modular but how exactly is that unit better than the new one? And what is it about the new one that's causing this problem?

AuzEll

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
The Cooler Master has a better platform with LLC resonant converter which is technically better than the FSP with ACRF topology in the G5. ACRF struggles with the latest videocards because the transient response time is to high.
Okay how do I look for that specification if I'm trying to buy a new power supply? Cause from what I can see, products don't seem to specify this aspect.

TRENDING THREADS