PC restarts after new gpu

1stpersongamer

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Just got a new gpu (MSI GTX 980 4GB) and it ran fine yesterday all day. after getting home from school today I was playing some games with my friends while skyping and it restarted. The 1st time it restarted i assumed it was random, about 30 mins later it rebooted my pc again. I really have no clue as to what it could be. My current rig is i7 3770 @ 3.4Ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, EVGA 500W white. When it restarts its quick and just boots up to the login screen.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
run memtest put it on a cd or a usb key and boot from it. let it run while you sleep. this is to make sure your memory dimm sticks are okay.

do you have another psu (preferably with higher wattage) to check if it's a power supply problem?

Your power supply seems a little weak the GTX 980 is rated for a 520w and above. Perhaps you should try a stronger power supply. I would also check your vents and clear off all the dust preventing good air flow (in the front and out the back/top). You can get a can of compressed air and use the wand to blow the dust out of the fins on your heat sink.

1stpersongamer

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
No, I don't have another power supply to test it, but I don't think it would be the psu I used to have an RX 480 and it ran well I just tested it again and played until it turned off with MSI after burner, my GPU temp was around 53C and the CPU was around 60C max for both. I checked that all the wires were plugged in well and they were. And how much memory do I need in my flash drive to install memtest? I only have a 4 gb flash drive atm.

1stpersongamer

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
I tried playing a different game(alot more GPU and CPU demanding) for around the same time and it didn't restart itself, I think it may have been the game. But I also deleted some games that I had downloaded from igggames.com and they have gave me viruses before. You think it could have been the downloaded games or the other game?

Update: was playing CSGO while skyping a friend and it restarted once more.

Mar 22, 2019
I tried playing a different game(alot more GPU and CPU demanding) for around the same time and it didn't restart itself, I think it may have been the game. But I also deleted some games that I had downloaded from igggames.com and they have gave me viruses before. You think it could have been the downloaded games or the other game?

Update: was playing CSGO while skyping a friend and it restarted once more.
Did you find a solution? I'm thinking it's my PSU supply which is pretty old but I'm getting the same problems.

Mar 22, 2019
Just got a new gpu (MSI GTX 980 4GB) and it ran fine yesterday all day. after getting home from school today I was playing some games with my friends while skyping and it restarted. The 1st time it restarted i assumed it was random, about 30 mins later it rebooted my pc again. I really have no clue as to what it could be. My current rig is i7 3770 @ 3.4Ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, EVGA 500W white. When it restarts its quick and just boots up to the login screen.
Well I found my solution which had nothing to do with the PSU and motherboard but instead with the BIOS.The steps I took which fixed my PC were by disabling legacy modes for hardware and boot etc. I upped the DRAM Voltage and updated my BIOS.