Question PC restarts after turning PC on after some time not in use without BSOD

Sep 28, 2020
Hi

I have some problems with my computer and I don't have anymore ideas what to try to fix it.
First the PC started to seemingly just randomly restart. In that case the screen would go black you would hear 1 short beep and then he boots up again (like pressing the reset button).
I deactivated the option in windows 10 for automatic restart on system failure but still no bluescreen showed up. Then I checked the temperature and noticed that under CPU load it got much too hot. As a consequence I bought a new fan for the CPU and now even under 100% load the temperature doesn't exceed 100°C. This definitely reduced the number of crashes (all the ones which were related temperature)
What is still there is that when the PC has not been in use for 1 day or longer (he always disconnects power cable when he doesn't use it) and then the PC is started fresh it will crash a few times in the first 10 minutes and afterwards work without any problems. Crash still the same as before: Black screen, 1 short beep and restart. Doesn't go to safe mode but restarts windows normally.
I ran an antivirus program (removed 1 questionable file) and CCleaner.
I also ran memtest86 for 3,5 passes without any fails. To note here is that the newest version wouldn't boot from an USB stick although I enabled the UEFI option for booting in BIOS. So the test was run with the older version of memtest which doesn't require UEFI.

For all the system and hardware data here is a link to the Speccy screenshot of my PC: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vLk3IpBomp5uR01vORGmK0L

If there is anything else I should try or provide please tell me.

Kind regards

Sep 28, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

100 degrees is still too high in reality. What temps are they reaching?

Also what is your PSU make and model (and how old is it)?

Thak you :)

Ah I'm really sorry I made a typo there. It got to over 100°C in the beginning now max temperature under 100% load is 60°C. Sorry for the confusion.

For the PSU it is: Cooler Master GX 750W
This one: http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/gx-series/gx-750w.html
I let the PC be assembled around 3,5 years ago so the PSU should also be about that old.

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
If you installed new RAM, try taking one of the stick out and seeing if that fixes it. If that is the case then you need to lower the clock speed in the bios. I went and bought a kit of 32gb patriot viper 3 at 1866mhz. But when I use all 32gb I run into this issue. When I use just 16gb I have no issues at all. If you dont think that's your issue try putting the RAM in in this order. (1)(2)(3)(4) 2 sticks in (2)(4). if you use 4 sticks then run the pc with 2 sticks in 2 and 4. Load up. Shut down and turn off the psu then install the next 2 in 1 and 3 and then boot up. The beeping noise sounds like a RAM issue to me. Give it a try. If it doesnt fix it then no harm done right?

Sep 28, 2020
If you installed new RAM, try taking one of the stick out and seeing if that fixes it. If that is the case then you need to lower the clock speed in the bios. I went and bought a kit of 32gb patriot viper 3 at 1866mhz. But when I use all 32gb I run into this issue. When I use just 16gb I have no issues at all. If you dont think that's your issue try putting the RAM in in this order. (1)(2)(3)(4) 2 sticks in (2)(4). if you use 4 sticks then run the pc with 2 sticks in 2 and 4. Load up. Shut down and turn off the psu then install the next 2 in 1 and 3 and then boot up. The beeping noise sounds like a RAM issue to me. Give it a try. If it doesnt fix it then no harm done right?

Haven|t changed the RAM since I got the PC. I assumed that the memtest would take care of possible RAM problems. I will try your proposal, as you said no harm done in trying :)
Will just take a while as the restarts are not so regular and only happen from time to time (as far as I can tell if the PC has not been used for a few days and then started for the first time again)

Sep 28, 2020
Hi
So I tested in detail now every possible RAM configuration and all still have the same error that he just restarts randomly :/ I also inserted new RAM and tested with that.
Any other ideas what it could be?