[SOLVED] Pc restarts at exact same spot in a jon demanding game

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
Hi guys,
I have a gaming pc. 2080ti, i7 9700k, ssd nvme, 32gb ram.
I play 4k demanding games like read dead redemption 2, avengers, mk11, shadow of tomb raider with no issues at all.

But when i play killer instinct, and not so demanding game, my pc always restarts at the exact same place, which is when the game ask you to run a benchmark test to play online. The pc will then reboots with no error. Nothing on event viewer. Temps are all fine.

I ran couple stress test programs and pc is fine. I ran 3d mark and heavyload. I load killer instinct game plays fine in all its modes, but the monent i run their benchmark the pc reboots at the exact same spot.

My psu is an evga supernova 750ws, that is 2 years old.

Could a game cause a hardware reboot like that?

Solution
My guess is in that particular game at the point your graphics card spikes in power usage, a transient spike that trips the OCP on your power supply.

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
Alright. I ran the test again now with the nvidia evga precision x logging.
It seems that during that performance test, the game pushes my 2080ti black edition clock to 1845MHZ, although i have my gpu clocked at 1350 and not overclocked.

How is this possible? could this be the reason the pc craches?

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
Well i think i fixed it. Maybe!
Opened the case and found that of the the power cables going to the gpu was loose and only half way plugged in. After plugging it correctly the game does not crash in that spot. For now at least.

Reactions: Flayed