[SOLVED] PC restarts at high gpu load, is my power supply going bad?

Cozmo300

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Hi everyone,

System Specs:
MSI Z170a Gaming Pro
i7-6700k
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
500gb Samsung SSD
32gb Adata XPG 3000mhz
Thermaltake 750w Toughpower 80+Gold

This first started a few months ago. My pc would shut off completely under high gpu load playing F1 2018. It shuts off pretty consistently after only a few mins in game. I thought it was a game issue, but now it's shutting off in other games that aren't as gpu intensive (around 50% gpu load). My system is about 4 years old. I don't overclock anything, never have. My gpu temps are always below 50C and cpu stays below 30C on an aio cooler.

Is there anyway to tell if my power supply is going bad besides just buying a new one and slapping it in? I tried putting in a new cable to the gpu but the problem persists.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Certainly sounds like psu problem since temps are fine. And am sorry to say, but testing with another psu is the only real way to see if it is the problem.

Could also be motherboard, but again only replacing is what makes clear.

And then there is the gpu which also might be the culprit, even when temps are low enough, but the psu seems more likely.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly sounds like psu problem since temps are fine. And am sorry to say, but testing with another psu is the only real way to see if it is the problem.

Could also be motherboard, but again only replacing is what makes clear.

And then there is the gpu which also might be the culprit, even when temps are low enough, but the psu seems more likely.

Solution

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
You could use hwmonitor software and log to file everything while playing.
There you can see fans, voltages and temperatures.
Could be the PSU but make sure you have no dust on motherboard and look if capacitors on it are not swelled...

TRENDING THREADS