[SOLVED] PC Restarts By Itself When launching Games on Windows 10

Sep 25, 2020
So after I finishing a build and trying to launch games, my PC just restarts by itself the second the game launches. This problem consistently occurs whenever I launch games and I've tried pretty much everything from updating my MOBO and GPU drivers and bios, testing my RAM, installing the GPU onto another pc (works fine), replacing the MOBO and reinstalling windows 10, but the issue still reappears. I've asked an expert and they've said that the build itself is fine and that it could be a compatibility issue between the software and the MOBO (MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI). Should I replace the motherboard with another model or is there a way to resolve this issue?

List of Games/Apps that cause this issue: Discord, Osu, League, Valorant, Minecraft (btw discord works fine on chrome)
Note: I’ve looked at the comparability between all of these parts on PcPartPicker and it says everything is fine.
Help would be very much appreciated :)

My Build: Windows 10 https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bZmTb8
MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor 📷ADATA XPG Z1 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB DUAL OC Video Card Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case Cooler Master SickleFlow 69 CFM 120 mm Fan EVGA 400 W ATX Power Supply

Solution
All of the parts are all newly purchased in new condition.
I'd still suggest swapping the unit for a good quality one. The EVGA unit is a very poor quality one and not really suitable for dedicated GPUs.

Either way, even if it WASN'T the PSU causing the issue, you'd be doing yourself a big benefit by getting a new, better quality one, even with a lower power GPU like a 1650. Then it would help eliminate what the possibilities are, but i would sooner suspect PSU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've asked an expert
What expert?
Did they do any testing? If so, what were they?

What they have potentially failed to mention unfortunately is the PSU is awful quality. Random restarts - whilst can be a multitude of possibilities - are very commonly caused by faulty and poor quality PSUs. It would be hard to know what your issue is until you get a good quality unit.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you for you input kind sir, I'd like to clarify that the restarts always occurred whenever I launched games right at the very beginning, not randomly while im playing.
Understood and apologies perhaps random is the wrong word. I mean random more as in, not triggered by you specifically. And it being at the start of games would actually point MORE in the direction of the PSU. As it could be faulting or tripping a protection mechanism when it starts pumping more power to your components as the game starts.

How long have you had the unit too?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What expert?
Did they do any testing? If so, what were they?

What they have potentially failed to mention unfortunately is the PSU is awful quality. Random restarts - whilst can be a multitude of possibilities - are very commonly caused by faulty and poor quality PSUs. It would be hard to know what your issue is until you get a good quality unit.
Oh boy I gotta totally agree with the Guru up above. Look that 400w PSU is junk. Be happy your components didn't blow up. Your not getting enough ampage on the 12v rail the PSU can't provide the juice and your box restarts. Count your blessing you didn't blow up any of your components with that crummy PSU. Your build is fine except for PSU, so grab something like a EVGA 550w 80+ Bronze Rating. However if you plan on upgrading in the future to a really powerful video card then buy a 650w version at minimum. Those idiots who tested your system don't know adam from eve. They should know better than to overlook the 400w junk and what not. In closing grab a new PSU like I said above and your restart problem will go away.🤷‍♀️💯

Sep 25, 2020
Understood and apologies perhaps random is the wrong word. I mean random more as in, not triggered by you specifically. And it being at the start of games would actually point MORE in the direction of the PSU. As it could be faulting or tripping a protection mechanism when it starts pumping more power to your components as the game starts.

How long have you had the unit too?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd still suggest swapping the unit for a good quality one. The EVGA unit is a very poor quality one and not really suitable for dedicated GPUs.

Either way, even if it WASN'T the PSU causing the issue, you'd be doing yourself a big benefit by getting a new, better quality one, even with a lower power GPU like a 1650. Then it would help eliminate what the possibilities are, but i would sooner suspect PSU.

Solution
Sep 25, 2020

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you on that as the GPU does NOT come with a power connector and gets all of its power from the PCIE slot. I greatly appreciate the help :)