[SOLVED] PC Restarts, Crashes (Blue Screen) or just the Game crashes when XMP is enabled in Bios.

JoeyAngelo

Honorable
Jan 20, 2016
Alright, a bit of history before I delve into the current issue which is pretty much the same. A month ago I built a new PC. Here are my specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-Core Processor, 3901 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
My RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015FXXBW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (32 GB)
GPU: RX 580
Motherboard: B550 AORUS MASTER (Rev. 1)
PSU: Segotep 850W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular Gaming PSU with Silent 140mm Fan
Here is the link of the PSU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F1NFSG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and everything was fine till a day later. My PC began restarting while playing Elden Ring. It would not be a blue screen, just a restart. Or the game itself would freeze then crash, and AMD would send me a report to fill out. Okay, so I thought maybe it was the RAM but every test I've done stated the RAM was good. But I decided to buy this time 32 gigs of RAM, same brand and same issue. That being said, the only time I can stop this is if I turn off XMP.

There are countless forums posts about this, so I will detail what I have done to correct this:

1. Ran SFC checks both in CMD and Powershell, nothing was found.
  2. Ram MEMTEST from an external drive to check for errors. Nothing so far. I have already purchased new ram and the issue persists.
  3. I checked settings in bios, disabled PBO and the other one, Turbo or whatever it's called, I apologize for not remembering.
  4. I have NOT overclocked anything, it's not something I like doing. Everything is set to Auto.
  5. A temporary thing that delays though not fixes the crashes or restarts is that I set Core Load Lines to High, which did stop it at first but rather than crashing every 10 minutes I crash every 2-3 hours. (found this potential solution on a reddit post)
  6. Clocks on everything are at their minimums, and I have already cmos flashed bios, installed bios after resetting it both with removing the battery and unplugging everying, as well as taking a screw driver in the prongs to short the cmos and flash the bios again, to no avail.
  7. Ran Stress Tests and nothing really happens unless just like I'm gaming, an hour into it or 2 it will crash. Only temp solution as of right now is disabling xmp.
  8. Checked event viewer and all it says is a crash or core gone wrong but that doesn't make sense. Nothing is overheating and everything runs well in tests.
I do not think it is the RAM. But I know that the latest AMD update messes with drivers due to it's profile settings? (I don't ever mess with this, but could it be the culprit?

EDIT/UPDATE: Mini Dump Files from 2 blue screens so far, the latest being this one:

Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\041122-10062-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: srv*
Executable search path is:
Windows 10 Kernel Version 22000 MP (16 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff8055ee00000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff8055fa29c70
Debug session time: Mon Apr 11 14:51:39.584 2022 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 11:34:18.220
Loading Kernel Symbols

Press ctrl-c (cdb, kd, ntsd) or ctrl-break (windbg) to abort symbol loads that take too long.
Run !sym noisy before .reload to track down problems loading symbols.

Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v
nt!KeBugCheckEx:

Any idea as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated. I've basically also tested the PSU and seems fine. Plugged into the outlet or not its still a problem. Let me know if more information is needed. Thank you!

UPDATE: I re-enabled XMP and set the timing values manually as suggested by Lutfij. 3 hours of gaming and so far so good, I won't mark this as a solution, I may need 3 days before I'm convinced so I'll check back here when the time comes, thanks for the input everyone!

UPDATE #2: So it turns out even with setting timings manually I still had the issue. I bought another set of RAM, this time Corsaires and I have not had an issue. It seems that the CPU/Motherboard does not play nice with Ripjaws for some reason, despite the fact they are supposed to be compatible. Mem test revealed a lot of errors too. Thank you everyone!

Last edited:
Solution
Alright, a bit of history before I delve into the current issue which is pretty much the same. A month ago I built a new PC. Here are my specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-Core Processor, 3901 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
My RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015FXXBW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (32 GB)
PSU: Segotep 850W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular Gaming PSU with Silent 140mm Fan
Here is the link of the PSU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F1NFSG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and everything was fine till a day later. My PC began restarting while playing...

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As opposed to using X.M.P, you're advised to manually input your timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS and then see if you're experiencing the same issue as stated above. One other thing to note is, if your system reboots when it's taxed then it can either be a thermal issue or your PSU is lacking the appropriate power for the entire system.

JoeyAngelo

Honorable
Jan 20, 2016
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As opposed to using X.M.P, you're advised to manually input your timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS and then see if you're experiencing the same issue as stated above. One other thing to note is, if your system reboots when it's taxed then it can either be a thermal issue or your PSU is lacking the appropriate power for the entire system.

I'm currently at the latest ver, F15b. I'm pretty sure that 850 watts was more than sufficient for this setup, I'm not running anything crazy either. Even with titles such as League of Legends it occurs, which isn't very taxing at all. If I'm wrong then I'd like to know how this would be exceeding power. Thermals have been checked and it isn't that either. Today however I got an actual blue screen for the first time. I will try to input settings manually and see if it continues and post an update here.

Last edited:

and everything was fine till a day later. My PC began restarting while playing Elden Ring. It would not be a blue screen, just a restart. Or the game itself would freeze then crash, and AMD would send me a report to fill out. Okay, so I thought maybe it was the RAM but every test I've done stated the RAM was good. But I decided to buy this time 32 gigs of RAM, same brand and same issue. That being said, the only time I can stop this is if I turn off XMP.

There are countless forums posts about this, so I will detail what I have done to correct this:

2. Ram MEMTEST from an external drive to check for errors. Nothing so far. I have already purchased new ram and the issue persists.
  3. I checked settings in bios, disabled PBO and the other one, Turbo or whatever it's called, I apologize for not remembering.
  4. I have NOT overclocked anything, it's not something I like doing. Everything is set to Auto.
  5. A temporary thing that delays though not fixes the crashes or restarts is that I set Core Load Lines to High, which did stop it at first but rather than crashing every 10 minutes I crash every 2-3 hours. (found this potential solution on a reddit post)
  6. Clocks on everything are at their minimums, and I have already cmos flashed bios, installed bios after resetting it both with removing the battery and unplugging everying, as well as taking a screw driver in the prongs to short the cmos and flash the bios again, to no avail.
  7. Ran Stress Tests and nothing really happens unless just like I'm gaming, an hour into it or 2 it will crash. Only temp solution as of right now is disabling xmp.
  8. Checked event viewer and all it says is a crash or core gone wrong but that doesn't make sense. Nothing is overheating and everything runs well in tests.
I do not think it is the RAM. But I know that the latest AMD update messes with drivers due to it's profile settings? (I don't ever mess with this, but could it be the culprit?

Lastly, I will put the mini dump file information for context:

DLOGFILE00010000DUMPY
Dump stack initialized at UTC: 2022/04/10 06:04:15, local time: 2022/04/10 02:04:15.
Progress 0x00000042
Elapsed BugCheck duration 00005554ms
Starting get secondary dump callbacks size.
Finish get secondary dump callbacks size.
Dump Type: 4, Total Dump Size: 693575, Secondary Dump Size: 531783.
Starting write of dump header.
Finish write of dump header.
Starting write of minidump data.
Finish write of minidump data.
Progress 0x00000044
Elapsed BugCheck duration 00011591ms
Starting invoking secondary dump callbacks.
Calling Win32kWPP secondary callback.
Return from Win32kWPP secondary callback.
Writing Win32kWPP secondary callback data.
Writing Win32kWPP secondary callback data done.
Calling RzDev_021e secondary callback.
Return from RzDev_021e secondary callback.
Writing RzDev_021e secondary callback data.
Writing RzDev_021e secondary callback data done.
Calling ibtusb secondary callback.
Return from ibtusb secondary callback.
Writing ibtusb secondary callback data.
Writing ibtusb secondary callback data done.
Calling À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback.
Return from À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback.
Writing À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback data.
Writing À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback data done.
Calling À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback.
Return from À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback.
Writing À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback data.
Writing À;¡–ÿÿÀ;¡–ÿÿ€;¡–ÿÿ secondary callback data done.
Calling \Device\DxgKrnl secondary callback.
Return from \Device\DxgKrnl secondary callback.
Writing \Device\DxgKrnl secondary callback data.
Writing \Device\DxgKrnl secondary callback data done.
Calling PortDriverStandard secondary callback.
Return from PortDriverStandard secondary callback.
Writing PortDriverStandard secondary callback data.
Writing PortDriverStandard secondary callback data done.
Calling Wdf01000 secondary callback.
Return from Wdf01000 secondary callback.
Writing Wdf01000 secondary callback data.
Writing Wdf01000 secondary callback data done.
Calling blackbox - CI secondary callback.
Return from blackbox - CI secondary callback.
Writing blackbox - CI secondary callback data.
Writing blackbox - CI secondary callback data done.
Calling blackbox - Winlogon secondary callback.
Return from blackbox - Winlogon secondary callback.
Writing blackbox - Winlogon secondary callback data.
Writing blackbox - Winlogon secondary callback data done.
Calling blackbox - NTFS secondary callback.
Return from blackbox - NTFS secondary callback.
Writing blackbox - NTFS secondary callback data.
Writing blackbox - NTFS secondary callback data done.
Calling blackbox - BSD secondary callback.
Return from blackbox - BSD secondary callback.
Writing blackbox - BSD secondary callback data.
Writing blackbox - BSD secondary callback data done.
Calling secondary multi-part dump callbacks.
Starting SMBiosData multi-part secondary callback.
Finish SMBiosData multi-part secondary callback.
Starting SMBiosRegistry multi-part secondary callback.
Finish SMBiosRegistry multi-part secondary callback.
Starting SMBiosRegisters multi-part secondary callback.
Finish SMBiosRegisters multi-part secondary callback.
Starting SMBiosDataACPI multi-part secondary callback.
Finish SMBiosDataACPI multi-part secondary callback.
Starting PCI multi-part secondary callback.
Finish PCI multi-part secondary callback.
Starting Etw multi-part secondary callback.
Finish Etw multi-part secondary callback.
Finish calling secondary multi-part dump callbacks.
Progress 0x00000045
Finish invoking secondary dump callbacks.
Starting invoking dump complete callbacks.
Progress 0x00000046
Finish invoking dump complete callbacks.
Dump ended at UTC: 2022/04/10 06:04:15, local time: 2022/04/10 02:04:15.
Elapsed BugCheck duration 00011673ms
Dump completed successfully.

Any idea as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated. I've basically also tested the PSU and seems fine. Plugged into the outlet or not its still a problem. Let me know if more information is needed. Thank you!
You bought 2 kits of 2 sticks each.
That could be a problem when mixed together.

If you can remember which 2 sticks belong to a kit try just using those 2 sticks fitted in the proper slots.

Solution

JoeyAngelo

Honorable
Jan 20, 2016
You bought 2 kits of 2 sticks each.
That could be a problem when mixed together.

If you can remember which 2 sticks belong to a kit try just using those 2 sticks fitted in the proper slots.

I definitely thought this too, but it happens with my previous 16 GB CAS 14 version of these too, I got 32 thinking the 16 GB were bad. Right now I put in the timings manually and I'm testing at the moment

JoeyAngelo

Honorable
Jan 20, 2016
The 2 separate sticks may have been your problem from the start.

Then you swapped that out for 2 separate kits which may have put the problem right back.

So back to if you can figure out which 2 sticks of your 4 stick setup are a kit perhaps test with those.

no, I think you're misunderstanding. I got 2 together, I didn't buy them individually if that's what you're implying. They come bundled in 2's. I didn't swap one or another individually either. Initially, I just bought the pack of 2. After my issues, I bought a back of 4. But all I did was add 2 to the order, so I got 4. I didn't order them separately. Also, I verified the models on each just to be safe, they are all identical save for the first 2 which are CAS 14. So far 6 hours of gaming and no crashes, by manually setting the timing in bios after enabling XMP, so fingers crossed.

JoeyAngelo

Honorable
Jan 20, 2016

EDIT/UPDATE: Mini Dump Files from 2 blue screens so far, the latest being this one:

Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\041122-10062-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: srv*
Executable search path is:
Windows 10 Kernel Version 22000 MP (16 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff8055ee00000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff8055fa29c70
Debug session time: Mon Apr 11 14:51:39.584 2022 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 11:34:18.220
Loading Kernel Symbols

Press ctrl-c (cdb, kd, ntsd) or ctrl-break (windbg) to abort symbol loads that take too long.
Run !sym noisy before .reload to track down problems loading symbols.

Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v
nt!KeBugCheckEx:

UPDATE: I re-enabled XMP and set the timing values manually as suggested by Lutfij. 3 hours of gaming and so far so good, I won't mark this as a solution, I may need 3 days before I'm convinced so I'll check back here when the time comes, thanks for the input everyone!

UPDATE #2: So it turns out even with setting timings manually I still had the issue. I bought another set of RAM, this time Corsaires and I have not had an issue. It seems that the CPU/Motherboard does not play nice with Ripjaws for some reason, despite the fact they are supposed to be compatible. Mem test revealed a lot of errors too. Thank you everyone!

Update #3: it happened again, this time I found out c state being enabled causes conflicts with xmp, disabling this completely fixed the issue for almost 2 days now and counting. Apparently it's not good for pc's that aren't laptops.