[SOLVED] PC restarts during gameplay. No issues when running stress tests.

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Problem:
PC started to suddenly freeze up during use - then would restart on it's own. Usually happens within first 5 mins, almost always when a game is loaded to full screen.

SPECS:
McpUCGu.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Update in case anyone reads this thread at some point with similar problems:

I ended up selling the system, and the person who purchased it said they were able to repaste the VRAMS (?) on the GPU and reseat the CPU and they can now run it with stability.

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
UPDATE - Looks like the PC still restarted, but it lasted much longer than usual and was able to run games.

I am going to try re-seating my memory. Also going to try running it without the dog integrated.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. I would hate to RMA the PSU or GPU without ruling out other causes.

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I wonder if this is a symptom of an issue - I started Magic the Gathering Arena app, and I noticed my fan rpms seem to be spiking up then turning off:

2Y0HDAC.png

Experienced a shutdown about 5 minutes after this screenshot. Temps were fine.

When it crashes, I do hear a sound - I am thinking it's coil whine. I hear it when the PC is restarting and immediately after, then it goes away.

Last edited:

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
post #4 - could you redo and select "+12V" (third image) this time ?

I think this is what you are looking for Grobe:

BImxVWg.png

Does the coil whine I hear during and after restart provide any clues? It's hard to say which part it's coming from, I could lay the all out the table and find out. I only hear that whine at times when it crashes.

Last edited:
Coil whine doesn't prove anything - other that there is a coil somewhere that when under certain condition when there is a mechanical resonance that make the winding vibrates within audible frequencies. Or it may be due to bad design of the pcb if under some circumstances, the coil actually overloads.
Also - you probably wouldn't be able to locate the exact position of the coil in question.

Ok - back to your images. It indicates PSU are ok. The images of fan speeds are of no interest because it all depend on the setup/configuration of the fan controller (doesn't matter if hw or software).

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Coil whine doesn't prove anything - other that there is a coil somewhere that when under certain condition when there is a mechanical resonance that make the winding vibrates within audible frequencies. Or it may be due to bad design of the pcb if under some circumstances, the coil actually overloads.
Also - you probably wouldn't be able to locate the exact position of the coil in question.

Ok - back to your images. It indicates PSU are ok. The images of fan speeds are of no interest because it all depend on the setup/configuration of the fan controller (doesn't matter if hw or software).

Any theories on what is causing the restarts Grobe?

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I've decided on a plan. See below and let me know if I am off base.

1. Test RAM - Tested via Windows tool, no issues.
  2. Thorough clean of fans, PSU and replace thermal paste. I noticed the heat sink near the CPU moves a little, and the back of the board where the heatsink is gets quite hot. Reason for concern?
  3. New PSU. I am going to buy a cheap PSU that can serve as a backup in the case where switching it does not stop the problem. If it is the PSU, then I will RMA my EVGA G2 750.
  4. New GPU. I'll pick this up off Amazon so I can potentially return it.

Actually, I'm more into failure of motherboard or GPU.

Try to uninstall current GPU driver, and install an older version - just to see if that fix the issue.

Also, there are some people suggesting the software Catzilla does a more realistic stress test of GPU. You can try that too (both with current and older driver) - to see if it runs successfully.

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Actually, I'm more into failure of motherboard or GPU.

Try to uninstall current GPU driver, and install an older version - just to see if that fix the issue.

Also, there are some people suggesting the software Catzilla does a more realistic stress test of GPU. You can try that too (both with current and older driver) - to see if it runs successfully.

Thanks for your help Grobe.

For anyone who might find this thread while googling - I never did find the reason. I am planning on rebuilding my aging system or getting a laptop.

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Update in case anyone reads this thread at some point with similar problems:

I ended up selling the system, and the person who purchased it said they were able to repaste the VRAMS (?) on the GPU and reseat the CPU and they can now run it with stability.

Solution