PC restarts every night

Palurien

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I have Win 7 64 Bit, I run uTorrent every night and when I wake up in the morning my PC has restarted its self, I was wondering if you guys know why my PC keeps restarting its self. My dad has same OS but no uTorrent and his does it too. His is also a brand new PC not even 3 weeks old.

Are you saying these machines power themselves back up in spite of being switched off in Windows or are they going into some for of sleep mode and then waking?

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Check the Task Scheduler and make sure you don't have something scheduled for every night that is making your computer reboot. You can find the task scheduler by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Task Scheduler.

Also, if you have Windows automatic updates turned on, you may want to turn them off. But, if you do turn them off, be sure to check for updates on your own time.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

darkace

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Might also want to check your log to see if your computer crashed in the middle of the night. Theres advanced options in systems that restarts the computer automatically if theres a BSOD

You have a point there, Cassie - just why M$ sets 03:00 as the default time for downloads has always been a mystery to me. Matter of inteest, do other countries outside the UK have a different default time?[/#000ff]

Palurien

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
This is a brand new PC, pretty sure IM not being hacked lol. Basically I leave it running overnight to download and then in middle of night it must restart cause all the programs that load at start up and loaded again.

A brand new installation can be infected within minutes of going online and as Area51Reopened commented earlier, torrenting and even ordinary downloading can cause that to happen. If you're sharing on a Peer to Peer basis, you can never be certain you're only receiving what you asked for so run your malware scanners just in case. MalwareBytes is a good one if you don't already have it.

Check with the torrent utility that it isn't set to shut down when it completes and look in Control panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>System Logs to find the exact time of the restart and see if that ties in with the end of the download.