Question PC restarts itself under high CPU load without BSOD

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
Hi all,

My PC sometimes just restarts by itself when I launch my warzone. I have a high suspicion that is cause by my CPU load.

CPU never goes above 80C and gpu is essentially capped at 20%. Probably because the CPU bottlenecks it. CPU load hovers around 90-100% when playing. I make sure that I close all the background app and only have warzone and discord on.

Weird thing is it survived a prime95 torture rest which I had run for around 1.5 hours without restarting.

Specs:
Z170
i5 6600k
860 evo
1080ti
Rm750i

I have a suspicion that it might be the PSU, but can’t explain why a 750w PSU is not enough to power my specs.Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi all,

My PC sometimes just shuts down by itself when I launch my warzone. I have a high suspicion that is cause by my CPU load.

CPU never goes above 80C and gpu is essentially capped at 20%. Probably because the CPU bottlenecks it. CPU load hovers around 90-100% when playing. I make sure that I close all the background app and only have warzone and discord on.

Weird thing is it survived a prime95 torture rest which I had run for around 1.5 hours without restarting.

Specs:
Z170
i5 6600k
860 evo
1080ti
Rm750i

I have a suspicion that it might be the PSU, but can’t explain why a 750w PSU is not enough to power my specs.Any input would be appreciated.
It maybe be the mobo showing signs of wear its been around for its life time. But I would think just yet on that its an Asus they hang in there normally. Here's how I viewed when's the last time you have serviced your windows files and do you have any other storage besides the evo

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
It maybe be the mobo showing signs of wear its been around for its life time. But I would think just yet on that its an Asus they hang in there normally. Here's how I viewed when's the last time you have serviced your windows files and do you have any other storage besides the evo
Yes I have another 2TB and 4TB WD Black hard drive for storage while my boot drive is the 860 Evo

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
My CPU Cooler is a hyper 212. Inder full load should be 75-80C. What should the ideal temp be?
To clarify I'm getting it right, by "Under full load should be 75-80C", you mean you haven't monitored/seen it and guessing it gets that hot or it actually does reach those temps?

Not sure really and temps depend on cooler, paste a little on ambient temps, case ventilation/air flow. Can't really say one temp at max load applies to all systems. A sarch on net would tell you for examples max temps in benchmarks/review with the cooler the used.

I personally would apply themral paste again if old one is not optimal or has dried out or even change for a better cooler so under heavy/max load the CPU stays around 70C and not slip into the 80+ degrees.

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
To clarify I'm getting it right, by "Under full load should be 75-80C", you mean you haven't monitored/seen it and guessing it gets that hot or it actually does reach those temps?

Not sure really and temps depend on cooler, paste a little on ambient temps, case ventilation/air flow. Can't really say one temp at max load applies to all systems. A sarch on net would tell you for examples max temps in benchmarks/review with the cooler the used.

I personally would apply themral paste again if old one is not optimal or has dried out or even change for a better cooler so under heavy/max load the CPU stays around 70C and not slip into the 80+ degrees.
It mostly sits at the 75ish mark and occasionally hits a 80-82 max temp. I use HWinfo to track the temps. but yeah I think it is due for a new thermal paste since it was never replaced since first assembly which was back in 2016.

Reactions: Satan-IR
Hi all,

My PC sometimes just restarts by itself when I launch my warzone. I have a high suspicion that is cause by my CPU load.

Specs:
Z170
i5 6600k
860 evo
1080ti
Rm750i

It could be the PSU, if bought new with the system it would be 7 years old. PSU dont last forever, the game could give just enough power spike when loading between the CPU and GPU that it trips the PSU. Just running a prime test only stresses the cpu but nothing on the gpu, you need to stress the entire system.

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
It could be the PSU, if bought new with the system it would be 7 years old. PSU dont last forever, the game could give just enough power spike when loading between the CPU and GPU that it trips the PSU. Just running a prime test only stresses the cpu but nothing on the gpu, you need to stress the entire system.
Cool is there a program that I can test both CPU and GPU at the same time ?

you could try OCCT Power Supply test......but beware it pegs everything at 100% and if your VRMs overheat or overload you could harm your system. I would only run a few min at the most, you were saying that one the game loads it reboots, so only a few min at the most should show if your having issues or not.