Question PC restarts on it’s own (not overheating), looking for some advice

rinmo

Honorable
Nov 28, 2014
I replaced most of the components in my PC last weekend and I've have had some issues since then. I'm hoping I can get some advice. Spec:

GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Intel Core i5-10600k
MSI Z490 Gaming Plus motherboard
16GB RAM (G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200)
Corsair 850W PSU
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Windows 10 (clean install)

The motherboard, CPU and RAM are new. The GPU is new to this PC, but used to be in my other PC without issues. The PSU I’ve had in this PC for years and never had an issue with before.

TL;DR - My computer kept restarting while playing games, turning down graphics settings seemed to fix for a couple days it but then it happened again while using GeForce overlay.

More detailed description:

I tried running a game for the first time and after maybe 10 minutes or so the computer suddenly restarted. No BSOD, no errors, the only message in the system log is

“Event ID 41: The system has rebooted without shutting down first.” (BugcheckCode 0)

This happened three more times within the next couple hours. I kept an eye on my CPU and GPU temperatures (using NZXT CAM, if that matters) and never saw them go above 50 and 60 °C respectively, so I don’t think it’s an overheating issue.

The resets seemed to be happening in more graphically intense areas of the game, so I tried turning a couple graphics settings down. After that I was able to play for 7 hours without any restarts. I played another 8 hours with no restart the following day (I normally never play for so long, it's only because of the new World of Warcraft expansion launch this week).

However, I then got another restart right after opening the Nvidia GeForce Experience “overlay” and looking through the settings (didn't actually do anything, just going through setting menus). Maybe it was unrelated, but going ~15 hours with zero issues and crashing right when I try using the overlay doesn’t seem like a coincidence? Windows also auto-installed updates while it was restarting, but I don't think normal Windows updates cause event 41.

I'm not sure what to do here. Should I replace the PSU (despite the PSU working fine for years in my old build)? Maybe just underclock the GPU? Is there a way to get better diagnostics on what's happening since the system log is so sparse?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS