Question PC Restarts on it's own (No Blue Screen/Error Message) once you switch from the main menu of a game to the actual game. Don't know if it's the GPU/PSU

Mar 19, 2020
Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well.

This is a very difficult problem to describe and I'll do my best to explain it here.

Around October/November 2019, I decided to upgrade my PC.
The build that I chose to buy was this:

Ryzen 7 3700X
GALAX GeForce RTX 2070 Super (This part was bought from a seperate vendor as compared to the other parts)
B450 Tomahawk Motherboard
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3000mhz x2
750W SMPS Corsair CX750W
NZXT H510 Case

The PC was primarily built for motion graphics softwares such as Blender/Cinema 4D/After Effects, while also intended for light gaming.

The problem arose whenever I tried to start a game on this system. Games like Star Wars - Jedi Fallen Order, Fortnite and most recently Call of Duty Warzone always made the system randomly restart (without any error message) whenever I switched from the main menu to the actual game. This means that the system could stay on the main menu for hours, but always crash whenever I tried to load a save game or join a match.

This problem was especially weird, because I ran a FurMark test on the GPU and it would always run fine without any errors (Temperatures would rise up to 72 degrees C) and till date, it has never crashed while rendering using Blender and Cinema 4D, which uses the GPU intensively while rendering.

Also, the time at which the computer restarts is very weird. Sometimes, games like the Witcher 3 run fine, while at times GTA 5 runs perfectly fine, or at times it makes the entire system restart randomly. For now, Warzone is the only game I've got which always makes the computer restart when I switch from the main menu to the game.

I looked up other forums and noticed that issues like these always lead to a PSU being faulty, so I figured it was my 750W PSU not delivering power correctly. I decided to test this by replacing my current GPU with my old GPU (a GTX 970). I thought that since the PSU is faulty, the same problems will occur after replacing the graphics card as well, which would reinforce my initial suspicion about the PSU and in turn, help me explain it to the hardware vendors better.

But guess what? After replacing the GPU with my old GTX 970, everything ran perfectly. I played a couple of matches in Warzone without any issues, GPU temps reaching upto 77 degrees C. I even tried a couple of other games and renders on it, they all ran fine.

At this point I'm really confused about my next course of action, I do not understand the root of this problem, whether it lies in the PSU or the GPU.
Requesting any of you guys to give me some clarity on this issue.

Thank you all and let me know if you have any answers to this.

TL/DR: PC randomly restarts while entering game, GPU fine during stress test/rendering/working with 3D software, everything works fine after replacing GPU with older GPU.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Jedi fallen order has been having issues and its not your system specs. I watch on twitch and see the errors that occur. Even on my PS4 it will crash at times. I have seen so many posts with issues with MSI motherboards when I build my system I avoid MSI. I have no issues today and its been almost a year.

Here is options to check and than play a game
-Check the motherboards website for BIOS updates related to ram GPU issues.
-Did you download updated drivers for the GeForce RTX 2070?
-Turn off Vsync in the games settings
-If the card is getting hot look at airflow in the case add a front fan if it does not have one
- Have the PSU wattage tested. you can buy a decent tester now days

Reactions: SenpaiSkySlash
Mar 19, 2020
Jedi fallen order has been having issues and its not your system specs. I watch on twitch and see the errors that occur. Even on my PS4 it will crash at times. I have seen so many posts with issues with MSI motherboards when I build my system I avoid MSI. I have no issues today and its been almost a year.

Here is options to check and than play a game
-Check the motherboards website for BIOS updates related to ram GPU issues.
-Did you download updated drivers for the GeForce RTX 2070?
-Turn off Vsync in the games settings
-If the card is getting hot look at airflow in the case add a front fan if it does not have one
- Have the PSU wattage tested. you can buy a decent tester now days
Thanks for the reply, dave! I'm planning on buying a tester for the PSU soon. I've got two intake fans on the front of the system and one out fan at the top.

May 13, 2020
Hi Senpai,

Did you figure out if it is the PSU or the GPU that's causing the problem?

Because I am facing the same issue with few games (Control and Metro Exodus) while switching from menu to the game.

My system Specs are :

MOBO -- ASUS ROG STRIX Z370G Gaming (non wifi one) mATX
CPU -- Intel Core i7 8700K (no overclocking, HT enabled) -- Windows task manager shows the CPU is running at 4.3 GHz
Cooler -- Cooler Master Hyper T4
RAM -- Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz -- 2x4GB (Initial) 2x8GB(later, cause wanted to run some server VMs) - C16 (If it helps) XMP is disabled
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 (256 GB for OS), Samsung 860 EVO (256 GB through SATA for Games)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Recently bought as upgrade 5400RPM), Seagate Barracuda 1TB ( 5400RPM), Seagate Barracuda 500 (7200RPM, on the verge of dying)
Graphics Card - MSI VENTUS XS RTX 2060 (OC Edition)
Fans -- 4x 120mm case fans
Case -- Corsair Carbide SPEC03

Now for the PSU I cannibalised my old PC and took the Corsair VS550 bought around 4 years back.

I also had my old card GTX 960 which when replaced performs without any problem. But when switch bad the 2060, it causes these pc restarts. Thinking of changing the PSU but wanted to see if you figured out your problem.