PC restarts once before post and then posts normally

halwig

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I've been ignoring this problem for quite some time. But recently i've been searching for some insight. I think it started in the end of 2017 when i bought a couple Crucial Ballistix 4gb 2400mhz to use along with mine 2x HyperX 4gb 2666mhz and a GTX 1060 6gb to replace my RX 480 4gb. I bought a different RAM brand and different mhz because it was cheaper at the time and i knew ryzen platforms dont do quad channels.

So, my problem is that everytime I turn off my power supply or unplug my PC from the wall, when I power it back on all the leds and fans turn on, I cant hear any beeps from the speaker and within 3 seconds everything powers down (including the psu fan) and it powers itself up again and posts normally. The computer functions completely fine. I have no issues whatsoever. When I leave the psu on I can turn off and on and restart just fine.

Everything I tried so far was software related. I updated everything I could. BIOS, Windows, mobo drivers, chipset drivers... Nothing worked.

I tried disabbling fast boot on BIOS and setting the rams to 2400mhz (later i even tried the lowest setting 1333mhz). Didnt work either.

I'm not doing any overclocking but I did see the American Megatrends screen once or twice while turning it on while having this issue.

I'm suspecting that my PSU maybe dont have enough juice to power the system first try after I installed the new gear. But it could be the RAM and even the mobo.

I read that in some cases clearing the CMOS helped. I just have to remove the battery wait some seconds and put it back? This would reset the mobo to default values, correct? But I already tried setting it all to default via BIOS (F5) and it didnt work.

Any help will be appreciated.

SPECS:
MOBO: ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS - BIOS 3803 (latest one)
PROC: RYZEN 7 1700
GRAPHICS: GTX 1060 6gb EVGA
PSU: XFX 600W 80PLUS BRONZE
RAM: 2x HyperX 4gb 2666mhz + 2x Crucial Ballistix 4gb 2400mhz = 16gb
1 SSD and 2 HDD

halwig

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Forgot to mention that I ran the default test of Windows Memory Diagnostic and it did not return me any errors. I'll try to tweak the advanced settings of this test next time to see if I still get no errors. But i'm currently away from my pc and I did not have the opportunity to take something apart.

Though I did not discard the ram, I think it may be a PSU or MOBO problem. I read that this kind of thing happens sometimes with ASUS boards and I don't know why. My best bets right now is a BIOS problem they did not solve yet or my PSU is going bad.

halwig

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Finally had the opportunity to continue looking for answers.

Update:
I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics extended test and got no errors too.
I tried setting the RAM timings manually on BIOS so that it's all the same as my less powerfull pair (Crucial).
I tried updating the firmware of my Kingston SSD through SDD Manager cuz I saw this in another topic with similar issue.

Nothing worked.

I just contacted my mobo manufacturer (ASUS), and I am currently waiting for their response.

I want to try EVERYTHING software related before tearing everything apart, cuz there's a lot of cables blocking my ram so I have to take a lot of things out of the way before just unplugging it to see what happens.

But I think the problem is not the ram itself, maybe an incompatibility of the timings of the Crucial's and the HyperX's with the mobo, idk.

halwig

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Got an answer from ASUS:
I'm from Brazil, so the message is translated below:

"Your motherboard is not faulty...

This kind of behaviour is completly normal in some ASUS mobos for recent Intel's and AMD's processors.
In some models, it happens everytime you turn on the system. In other models it only happens after total loss of power, like unplugging from the wall or turning your PSU off.
This behaviour can even repeat itself 1 or 2 times, totalizing 3 restarts.

Even mobos for servers are similar. This is an energy checkup that happens everytime there is a cut of power.
It's called cold boot, which verifies if it's the first time you're powering it on, and does the initial tests. If it's a restart, the test is not necessary."

I don't know if they are serious, though. Or if they just don't wanna give me another mobo. I'm suspicious because I already saw in the forums some similar issues that were solved, even with these so called "recent asus mobos".

Not sure if I should stop my search for answers...

Nov 1, 2018
hey I have the same problem. I just bought my new pc. I have the same problem. my motherboard is h310m h gigabyte. did you find a answer? is it really normal that this happens? if you have found the cause of the issue please let me know as well. thank you

TRENDING THREADS