Nov 3, 2018
Cpu i7-8700
Ram Corsair 2400 MHz 16 GB
GPU Gigabyte aurous 1080 Ti OC edition
Mobo z390 Gaming SLI
CPU cooler h150i by corsair
Psu EVGA 850 watt gold certified
One 500gb 860 Samsung ssd and 1 tb ssd
Any other question about my system I will answer as I’m a little stressed and can’t think rn

As the thread suggest another problem has occurred with my PC. Initially, on a fault of my own FOR THE SECOND TIME BUT WITH A DIFFERENT MOBO, I plugged an RGB strip into a 12v rgb header and it sparked when I turned my pc on. Now it post but restarts. On and off and CPU light is lit. I did the paper clip with my psu and it’s fine. I noticed my GPU isn’t lit either as the lights on it are off but the fans are running which is weird in my case. So computer starts but shuts off. With my last motherboard I did this same thing however. She didn’t do this restarting shit like this mobo is doing. After a few minutes of tinkering fans in different spots it kicked back on as it wouldn’t start cause cpu would overheat due to the rgb spark setting my mobo to go haywire. Only after an hour or so it was fine and everything was good. New mother after a month later and forgot what happened last time and now same problem however, this time th GPU rgb lights aren’t turning on but fans spins and pc won’t startup fully. I’ve unplugged the cpu power and tried and same thing so I might just wait and see how things go. And also my reset switch no longer works. But the reset in the power switch header will turn on my pc but the reset sw header doesn’t work as of rn.

Nov 3, 2018
I took my cpu cooler off and touched the cpu as it attempted to post and noticed this baby girl was cold as Antarctica. No heat going to it what so ever! So I assume that the cpu is done for or maybe it needs some rest. I’ll try her in another board and see if she’s fine

Nov 3, 2018
I took my cpu cooler off and touched the cpu as it attempted to post and noticed this baby girl was cold as Antarctica. No heat going to it what so ever! So I assume that the cpu is done for or maybe it needs some rest. I’ll try her in another board and see if she’s fine
Put cpu in another board and it heated up a bit. So it’s my mobo 😪😪😪

Nov 3, 2018
My problem is similar but I’m not sure if it’s broken it’s only a single pin that’s slightly bent. But my setup won’t post at all
Bend it back but make sure everything is powered off. All wires are in snug and what helped me is I test my cpu on another board and found it got warm on my b360m mortar board but not my z390 board so I came to the conclusion the z390 cpu socket was done for as it was fried none the less. Also, do a paper clip test on your psu look up pics on google it’ll show a diagram for you. Try everything one at a time. Boot with only the cpu in and power to it and the board. If it boots fine you’re good. If it doesn’t it’s one of a few thing your board your CPU’ your cpu socket your psu. Just so much possible combos just trial and error is all it is to find it. What are you running anyhow? Just to ensure all parts are compatible. If it’s a new build

Reactions: TreSway

TreSway

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
I have an

Asrock extreme 4 mobo w/ 8700k cpu
Evga 850 g3 power supply
32gb Viper 2666 MHz ram
Corsair h115 aio

Would this really qualify as bent or broken pin? I noticed a single “sparkle” when looking at the socket in the motherboard from far away. I used my iPhone X to look at it up close because i don’t have a magnifying glass or good camera and it was very subtle, it looked as if the very tip was slightly slanted forward but not enough to say it’s bent? Not sure View: https://imgur.com/a/LLcf2rJ

Nov 3, 2018
I have an

Asrock extreme 4 mobo w/ 8700k cpu
Evga 850 g3 power supply
32gb Viper 2666 MHz ram
Corsair h115 aio

Would this really qualify as bent or broken pin? I noticed a single “sparkle” when looking at the socket in the motherboard from far away. I used my iPhone X to look at it up close because i don’t have a magnifying glass or good camera and it was very subtle, it looked as if the very tip was slightly slanted forward but not enough to say it’s bent? Not sure View: https://imgur.com/a/LLcf2rJ
Believe it or not even a subtle bent can Mess up a transfer of data through the cpu to mobo so one bent prong can mess up the whole system as a conveyor belt broke will mess up the whole assembly line. If that’s the low down cause and you bread boarded already with nothing on but ram and cpu with power and tried the GPU and all other stuff then that’s it. If you have another board lying around try your cpu on it and see if it post and stays on. If it does it’s the mobo that’s fucked

TreSway

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Samsung 860 Evo, but it isn’t connected. Should I connect that?

I went and looked at the motherboard qvl on asrock’s website, and see that Viper - the brand of my ram isn’t listed. Maybe that’s also an issue.

So I’m thinking the solution, is to purchase Corsair ram and just another motherboard of a different brand (Gigabyte Z370 Aourus)

Nov 3, 2018
Oh ok, then it’s just the motherboard that needs replacing. Thanks
Exactly! Since you've done everything we could think of, returning the board is your best bet. Get that money back and rebuy that same board or a different one. I ordered my Gigabyte Z390 gaming SLI from Amazon so I returned it and got my money back same day. $159 with taxes so I got back $171. I am using a MSI B360 Mortar Micro ATX atm. Miss my ATX but hey <<Edited>> happens right? Anyway enough deviating. Get that new board and let me know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:

TreSway

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Exactly! Since you've done everything we could think of, returning the board is your best bet. Get that money back and rebuy that same board or a different one. I ordered my Gigabyte Z390 gaming SLI from Amazon so I returned it and got my money back same day. $159 with taxes so I got back $171. I am using a MSI B360 Mortar Micro ATX atm. Miss my ATX but hey shit happens right? Anyway enough deviating. Get that new board and let me know how it goes!

Unfortunately my replace window closed on the 15th, so I have to purchase with new money lol

TreSway

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Exactly! Since you've done everything we could think of, returning the board is your best bet. Get that money back and rebuy that same board or a different one. I ordered my Gigabyte Z390 gaming SLI from Amazon so I returned it and got my money back same day. $159 with taxes so I got back $171. I am using a MSI B360 Mortar Micro ATX atm. Miss my ATX but hey shit happens right? Anyway enough deviating. Get that new board and let me know how it goes!
What I’m hoping is that my cpu isn’t fried or damaged or anything like that when installing in a new motherboard because I’ve read that, that can happen surprisingly

Nov 3, 2018
What I’m hoping is that my cpu isn’t fried or damaged or anything like that when installing in a new motherboard because I’ve read that, that can happen surprisingly
You can either RMA the board, which can take weeks. I wouldn't be able to wait. Or you can buy a new one and you are doing that as I see.