PC restarts playing FC5, new GPU installed

bklee123

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Just purchased a new GPU from my old AMD R9 270 to a GTX 1060 6gb in order to play FC5. Install went smooth and booted right up. After playing FC5 on High settings for approx an hour, my PC unexpectedly restarted. No error prompts, Windows started right back up as if it was a regular restart. No odd noises ... nothing out of the normal (at least for a computer pleb). Thinking nothing of it and maybe it was just a fluke, started up the game again and started playing. After about 15mins, same thing happened. "Feeling" around (hovering my hand over components), nothing felt extraordinarily hot. Started it up again and again, same problem, only this time it was about 3mins before the system restarted. System boots right back up without any error message every time. Looking it up and people seemed to lean towards the PSU, possibly the CPU.

Trying to eliminate the heat issue, waited overnight and started the game up after work today. Game starts crashing the second gameplay loads. Odd. Give it a few more tries and suddenly, PC starts restarting at the load screen. Give it another go, PC restarts before even getting to the home screen. Reinstall FC5 and suddenly, I can play the game! About 30mins of gameplay and PC restarts. *sigh*

I can use my PC for all other functions fine. I even loaded up FIFA 17 and played a whole game without issue. Downloaded a CPU temp app and temps never got about 61*C when I did get FC5 to play. Drivers are all up to date, BIOS is up to date.

Anyways, here's my computer's specs:

CPU - Intel i5-4460 3.2GHz (stock fan)
GPU - GTX 1060 6gb
PSU - Corsair GS600 (4yrs old)
RAM - 8gb
MoBo - unk, it's a Dell 3847 (don't hate)

I haven't had any issues prior to this. I was able to play the game on low settings with the R9 without issue for hours. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Solution
My guess would be either the GPU is overheating or the PSU needs to be replaced with something rated higher, and I'm leaning towards it being the PSU. Download hwinfo and monitor the gpu temps while you game. That will tell you if it is temps.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
My guess would be either the GPU is overheating or the PSU needs to be replaced with something rated higher, and I'm leaning towards it being the PSU. Download hwinfo and monitor the gpu temps while you game. That will tell you if it is temps.

Solution

bklee123

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Thanks! New PSU should be coming in a couple of days. This also happened in Team Fortress 2, which is a completely underwhelming game as far as demand goes. Played FIFA immediately after restart and played a full game without issue. Went back to FarCry 5 and lowered settings to Low and had the same issue of the PC rebooting. *sigh*

Did some logging with HWinfo and GPU saw a max temp of 65*C, GPU fan turning @ 1663RPM, GPU power max was 115.521W (81.74W last log before crash), 1961.5 MHz GPU clock ... GPU Core Load did hit 99% but was in the mid-60% range right before crash, whatever that means.

Does this still seem like the issue is stemming from the PSU? And in case anyone is wondering, the GPU is the only change made prior to this issue cropping up.