Question PC Restarts - Please Read -

Feb 10, 2020
Hello all, I have been on Reddit to as as well. I have been having trouble for some reason, it happens at random times. I'll be watching TV on my PC and it'll restart for some reason or when I fire up a game sometimes it'll also restart. Now I have checked temps, ran memory tests, ran hdd tests, and they all come back with nothing.
Here's my specs

Mobo - ASUS Prime B360M-A
Graphics - Gigabyte 1060 3gb
Ram - x2 G.Skill 8gb sticks
CPU - i7 8700 @ 3.2ghz
PSU - Corsair 650CXM

I just bought a new PSU thinking that was the issue before I got this Corsair I had an Allied PSU. I installed this Corsair a couple days ago and still have had random restarts and I would probably say a total of 4 times in the last couple days.
Now I am thinking maybe its the GPU? I do run 2 monitors, maybe 3gb ain't enough for it? Doesn't make sense because I have ran 2 screens on this for the last 2 years, why all of the sudden. Could it be my motherboard?

Oh, and I have never overclocked anything on here. Don't know how. xD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The usual causes of sudden restarts/shut downs:
Power supply: You've already covered that one
Memory: Did you check with Memtest86 instead of Windows Memory Diagnostic? The latter isn't thorough enough.

Missing or corrupted drivers:
-Windows is up to date?
-Motherboard drivers updated?
-Gpu drivers were previously installed using Display Driver Uninstaller and then installing the new one?
-System is clean of viruses and malware?
-Run System File Checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-If nothing else, you may have to reinstall Windows...

Feb 10, 2020
The usual causes of sudden restarts/shut downs:
Power supply: You've already covered that one
Memory: Did you check with Memtest86 instead of Windows Memory Diagnostic? The latter isn't thorough enough.

Missing or corrupted drivers:
-Windows is up to date?
-Motherboard drivers updated?
-Gpu drivers were previously installed using Display Driver Uninstaller and then installing the new one?
-System is clean of viruses and malware?
-Run System File Checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-If nothing else, you may have to reinstall Windows...

Hello!
Yes I have ran both memtest and the windows diagnostic version. Same for the hdd, did Seagate tools to run that one. All have passed.. Mobo is current, Nvidia drivers are current, yes ran both virus scans full scans and did malwarebytes scans as well all good. Temps are good too, I don't know if maybe the memory clock on the gpu needs to be turned down a bit but idk anything about it. Now the file system checker I'll do that when I get home! I'd really hate to Re install windows. I did order new GPU too it's time anyways even if that's not the problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
memory clock on the gpu needs to be turned down
Well, even if the memory overclock was a bad one, it shouldn't be enough to cause a restart.

You've just about covered all the possible bases... after you've run the system checker, the only other thing I could think of without having to reinstall Windows would be to check the motherboard socket for any bent/broken pins.

If by chance it is the motherboard, you're going to have to reinstall Windows again anyway...

Feb 10, 2020
Well, even if the memory overclock was a bad one, it shouldn't be enough to cause a restart.

You've just about covered all the possible bases... after you've run the system checker, the only other thing I could think of without having to reinstall Windows would be to check the motherboard socket for any bent/broken pins.

If by chance it is the motherboard, you're going to have to reinstall Windows again anyway...

Alright, I have even ran benchmarks to stress it out but what I noticed just by firing up Battlefield 5 the cpu temp shot to 100 degrees.. Then went back down and averaged at 80. Also did the file system check and came back with no errors or anything.. So now I'm thinking the cpu temp isn't where it needs to be causing the restart when firing games up butttt there's times where I'm not even playing a game. Watching a video 1 tab up and it has restart.

Check you BIOS for thermal protection settings. It might be restarting your PC when the CPU is hitting 100+. Don't increase the protection threshold - improve the cooling! The 8700k is a toasty chip. What's your CPU cooler? You might need a better one, or better airflow in your case.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 10, 2020
Check you BIOS for thermal protection settings. It might be restarting your PC when the CPU is hitting 100+. Don't increase the protection threshold - improve the cooling! The 8700k is a toasty chip. What's your CPU cooler? You might need a better one, or better airflow in your case.

It's gotta be stock fans. I bought this a couple years back from BestBuy. iBuyPower brand. its not the k version from what I see. so I assume stock cooling on it little thermaltake fan. As for heat detection I'll have to look it up for the ASUS bios uefi i think i have.