[SOLVED] PC restarts randomaly while playing games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dolsik

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
I've purchased a new GPU after my last GPU started causing black screen of death while playing games (no video only sound), switched it up with RTX 2060 super gaming.
Started noticing while playing the new Borderlands 3 game that sometimes my PC restarts itself randomly. Happened only 3 times so far.
I guess it can either be the CPU warming up since the GPU is new or the PSU not supplying enough power, or the game is just a complete <Mod Edit> optimization (there's alot of talk about it right now) that it might causing something to overthink for no good reason and my parts are fine?
Can't really tell how I would know, I've tried to measure the temperature of the CPU and such using HWMonitor while game was minimized but I guess that won't really tell me anything since it probably happens when there's a load on the system (which is probably the case with Borderlands 3 since it's really badly optimized..) what can I do, what do you suggest me to do ?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
To be honest, there is only so much software testing you can do. Even the voltage testing is only for obvious abnornmalities, as most voltage readings can be fairly inaccurate, it just helps seeing if there is anything obvious.

Really I would be replacing the PSU with a good quality unit (not just enough wattage) and retesting.
You could run without the GPU, and see if the restarted still occur, however if they stop, it could just be that stress isn't being induced onto the PSU.

Random restarts are very commonly PSU or GPU. It can also be RAM however I would typically expect MEMTEST to identify anything obvious (not guaranteed however). You could run FURMARK to strain the GPU and see if the restarts occur again, but it does nothing to...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So what about the thread talking about people experiencing the same issues? I even saw one thread other than mine here on the forums saying he experience PC restarts in borderlands 3. Can't a game theoretically do some GPU intensive task (by accident) that can cause such a behavior?
I mean, this is weird but I didn't have this issue so far with my PSU so why now ? (I've yet to check other games)
I've never known a game cause a shut down. However a game can cause the hardware to act in a certain way that the hardware encounters an issue, either firmware, drivers, or physical. A game itself can't cause a random reboot.

Have you checked as I mentioned earlier if your have blue screen enabled?
It's possible you're getting BSOD, but if it's not enabled, it will just restart.

Dolsik

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
I've never known a game cause a shut down. However a game can cause the hardware to act in a certain way that the hardware encounters an issue, either firmware, drivers, or physical. A game itself can't cause a random reboot.

Have you checked as I mentioned earlier if your have blue screen enabled?
It's possible you're getting BSOD, but if it's not enabled, it will just restart.
How can I check if it's enabled/disabled not sure?
Also another user opened a thread in the game forums:
https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/the-game-restarts-my-pc-every-5-minutes-into-the-game/3183476/4
I'm just not sure anymore if it's a problem with my hardware or the game is doing something funky causing hardware issues like you've said

Dolsik

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
Well I've been testing with the Witcher 3 and so far everything is fine. My assumption is that the game BL3 is doing something funky causing my PSU probably to spike for unreasonable amount or something like that and causing the restarts. I think it won't happen in the future once they start fixing the game, but non the less I'll go and buy a new PSU and see how it goes.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So a game causing BSOD I can believe, because the hardware or drivers cna be forced into crashing if there is a problem. To check for BSOD, check my signature link below - it will explain in there.

If they ARE in fact BSOD and not just restarts, then that's a different story entirely.

TRENDING THREADS