Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
I have this pc from 2016
cpu > i2 q9650
gpu > gt 730 4gb
rom > 4gb
hdd > 250 -> 320 gb
mb > asus p5g41t-m lx
Since 2017, every june, my pc restars. I was playing games when it first restarted itself. I thought it was caused by overheating. In 5 minutes I could enter windows i checked the temperatures and they were fine (cpu and gpu 40-50, 80-90 while gaming). Then the restarts occured every 5-10 minutes for 2-3 weeks, daily. Sometimes it restarted every 5 seconds. It restarted in BIOS/ safe mode.
I cleaned my pc, replace thermal paste, change ram's slot, tried to run without gpu, changed the cpu, changed ram stick, etc. No results. After 2-3 weeks no more restarts. IN 2018 and 2019 happened the same exactly in june, not october not december. This year is happening exactly the same. I tried all the solutions above, none of them worked. Cannot be a virus (software problem ) since i got a new hdd in april 2018. Also I tried changing every hardware part of PC except motherboard, no result. But cannot be a hardware problem, because this occurs only in june. Cannot be a voltage problem since every gadget works fine.

Also I have tried with another PSU (mine is 2 years old - 520W, the other one was 4 years old - 450W, it works just fine on another PC), still no results.

I need your help, but don't say it's caused by overheating since I didn't turn on my pc for 4 days and after 2 minutes it started restarting.
Thanks.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
80-90 is too hot.

71.4 is the stated max temperature for that CPU according to Intel.

Its overheating. Whether or not that's what is causing the restarting still might be debatable, but it is very clearly overheating by a significant margin.

EDIT: I just re-red the post, are you saying the CPU is 40-50 under load and the GPU is 80-90 under load? Maybe I read that wrong ... I read as 40-50 in windows and 80-90 while gaming -- please clarify this.

Last edited:

SergiuMr

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
We have already clarified it's not overheating.

1. 40-45 C in windows and 85 C while gaming are ok tempeatures
I didn't turn on my pc for 4 days and after 2 minutes it started restarting.
Yesterday, after my pc hasn't been turned on for 4 days it restarted just after 2 minutes in windows. I went to bios and saw that CPU temp was 37 C and MotherBoard 30 C.
  1. Today i tried to run chkdsk on windows partition and for 3 times in a row it restarted while reaching 21%. I thought i solve the problem, but when i tried with another HDD it restarted after 20 minutes in windows, only browsing on internet (so 50 C let's say)
  2. Let's suppose it's overheating and I haven't tried all the solutions I mentioned above. THe question is: why does this happen only in mid june to early july? Tempeatures outside are greater in july / august than june (20C in my room) and in january (when it's cold outside - almost 30C). So room tempeature should not influence this since I almot do same things daily on my pc.
--> Overheating, out

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Again, the maximum operating temp for that CPU is 71.4C ...

https://safetemp.blogspot.com/2016/01/intel-core-2-quad-q9650-max-temp.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35428/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q9650-12m-cache-3-00-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

As I mentioned, reboots can happen for a number of different reasons, over-temp, is one of them, you are getting over temps. Ambient temps increase in June almost everywhere north of the equator.

I am surprised you are unwilling to to consider this, or at least test the scenario by removing the ability for your CPU to get to those temps to rule it out. (should be the first thing you do is rule out the obvious, especially when it ticks all the boxes)

Regardless of what is causing the reboots, your CPU is overheating. Not because I said so, but because you said 80-90 which is up to almost 20C over Intel's specifications for max temp. (linked above) If you have been running in this state for years, perhaps the CPU has become damaged and that is triggering the reboots? (it is an old CPU after all)

I don't think I'll be able to help you further, but maybe someone with the same CPU or that has similar experience will be able to. The only other thing that I can think of off the top of my head is the issues with security patches and microcode updates from Intel ... but I don't think they'd just pick June to occur in ... weird.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY