Question PC restarts randomly, I need help!!

lechugafire

Prominent
Jan 12, 2022
Hi there! I'm getting kinda desperate here.
My PC restarts randomly, no matter what I'm doing. It does it when it's on idle, when I'm googling something with only Opera open, when I'm playing a game, it even restarted 2 times already while I was writing this on the NotePad, it just doesn't matter what I'm doing. It just decides to restart. I've timed it and it's random. Here's what I've done so far to try to fix it:
  • Checked the temperature of all components, and they're fine.
  • Replaced the PSU for one I had laying around.
  • Replaced the GPU.
  • Replaced RAM.
  • Replaced SATA cable of the SSD that has Windows 10 installed (and connected it to another port, in case it was that).
After replacing the SATA cable it kept rebooting so I,
  • Uninstalled Windows 10 completely from that SSD and installed it to other SSD I have (and I removed the empty SSD from the computer)
But after all I've done, the PC keeps restarting. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(Here are my specs if it's any help: PSU Thermaltake 600W, CPU Ryzen 7 1700, 16 GB RAM, Motherboard ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0, Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB, 1TB Seagate HDD, 480GB Kingston SSD)

lechugafire

Prominent
Jan 12, 2022
yo, im in the same ditch, try bread boarding your computer, basically rebuild it outside the case on a piece of cardboard, see if you have reboots still. do you have debug lights on your mobo?
I did something similar but it still restarted. And nope, I do not have debug lights on my mobo.
Buuut I think I found the problem! Maybe you've got the same one as I do. I opened Event Viewer (Windows registry>System) and I looked for the exact moment where my pc rebooted. I had 3 errors, all of them were Error ID 18 Fatal hardware error. I looked for it online and I found various solutions:
  • Update the BIOS,
  • make sure XMP profile for your ram is 'off',
  • update your chipset drivers,
  • and if that doesn't fix it then your CPU is <Mod Edit> up and you need to replace it.
For now, I've only done two of them, updating the BIOS (I had a 2019 version, quite old) and checking if my xmp profile is off. The PC haven't restarted since then (exactly 1 day ago) which is progress for me since it usually restarts 8 times a day!
I'll update this thread in a couple of days if it keeps rebooting or not.
UPDATE: 6 days have passed and it didn't reboot, not even once. It seems that it was the outdated BIOS

Last edited: