Question PC restarts randomly, while playing demanding games.

radical1412

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Hi, first some info about my build.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700
16GB (8x2) Kingston (2133)
AB350M-D3H Gigabyte Motherboard
Zotac RTX 2060 (6 GB)
Corsair VS 550 80+ Bronze

From last week My PC started restarting randomly while anything resource intensive. And the restarts were instantaneous, that would ideally mean the power supply is not the issue.

I went through the usual checkups for overheating, resetting the BIOS, etc.

Finally I tried checking the RAM, when I tried both the sticks individually and they work fine and there is no restart, but when I have them both installed the PC restarts.

At this point I am not sure if this is a RAM issue or my motherboard, maybe the motherboard is not able to provide the proper voltages to both sticks at once?
I have read a few posts saying that an improperly seated CPU also may cause this, but I doubt that is the case as I have been using the PC for a while without any issues.

Note: I have never tried overclocking the CPU or RAM at any point of time.

Lutfij

Titan
If the system reboots when taxed, the likely causes are two:
1| It's a thermal issue(overheating)
or
2| The PSU's unable to provide power to all components on demand.

I'm leaning towards 1. How old is the unit? That unit is not reliably built, in spite of it coming with a Corsair badge.

Reactions: radical1412

radical1412

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Hi, first some info about my build.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700
16GB (8x2) Kingston (2133)
AB350M-D3H Gigabyte Motherboard
Zotac RTX 2060 (6 GB)

From last week My PC started restarting randomly while anything resource intensive. And the restarts were instantaneous, that would ideally mean the power supply is not the issue.

I went through the usual checkups for overheating, resetting the BIOS, etc.

Finally I tried checking the RAM, when I tried both the sticks individually and they work fine and there is no restart, but when I have them both installed the PC restarts.

At this point I am not sure if this is a RAM issue or my motherboard, maybe the motherboard is not able to provide the proper voltages to both sticks at once?
I have read a few posts saying that an improperly seated CPU also may cause this, but I doubt that is the case as I have been using the PC for a while without any issues.

Note: I have never tried overclocking the CPU or RAM at any point of time.
Update to this:

I took out everything from my case, cleaned up things and repasted both my CPU and GPU. Things worked out fine.

But a new issue has come up. Rather than restarting the PC goes into pre boot stage, the power to CPU is gone, but the GPU fans and all system fans are going full speed. All the leds are working. My keyboard and mouse also lose power. The only way out of this is to shutdown the PC using the power button, and starting again.

This is very random though, some times it would happen within 10 mins sometimes it won't for hours. Heavy load on PC has nothing to do with this, atleast from my understanding.

Anyone has ever faced anything like this?

ankur121192

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
Update to this:

I took out everything from my case, cleaned up things and repasted both my CPU and GPU. Things worked out fine.

But a new issue has come up. Rather than restarting the PC goes into pre boot stage, the power to CPU is gone, but the GPU fans and all system fans are going full speed. All the leds are working. My keyboard and mouse also lose power. The only way out of this is to shutdown the PC using the power button, and starting again.

This is very random though, some times it would happen within 10 mins sometimes it won't for hours. Heavy load on PC has nothing to do with this, atleast from my understanding.

Anyone has ever faced anything like this?
If, by any chance, you are living at a place where you are not sure about the quality of materials used in House wiring, this could very well be due to fluctuations in power demand.

I had a similar issue, solved it yesterday by just getting a reputed UPS to deal with fluctuations.

And as you said, this is not about the load, but I suspect this is more about the fluctuations in power demand.