[SOLVED] Pc restarts randomly

Sep 8, 2019
guys sometimes my pc restarts by itself usually when i start playing it either restarts or shuts down and also occurs when i open multiple tabs in chrome and i leave it on idle it happens, i haven't seen it do a restart infront of my eyes it happened once when i was playing a game, but when i usually go afk for a bit then come back i find out that it restarted either that or shuts off, i did a benchmark just now trying to diagnose the issue and no restart occurred for 20minutes the CPU temperature reached 87c and the GPU reached 80c, what could be the issue here?

My specs
Cpu : i7 7700k
Gpu : gigabyte aurous 1080ti
Psu : XFX 1250w 80+ gold
Cooler : Corsair h110i

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

First port of call would just be to try and clarify software/firmware, even though that would usually present with a stop error (BSOD) or crash. So firstly, do you have latest drivers (including MB/Chipset drivers) and BIOS installed?

After firmware/software, the typical probability of cause for random restarts can be something along the lines of:
PSU > GPU > RAM > Motherboard > CPU.

How old is your PSU?
Have you tried running without the GPU installed and see if the issue persists?
Do you have any overclock or XMP enabled? If so, remove it by resetting CMOS.
It would seem whilst your temps are high, they don't appear to be hot enough to cause restarts generally (if they are PEAK temperatures you have...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

First port of call would just be to try and clarify software/firmware, even though that would usually present with a stop error (BSOD) or crash. So firstly, do you have latest drivers (including MB/Chipset drivers) and BIOS installed?

After firmware/software, the typical probability of cause for random restarts can be something along the lines of:

How old is your PSU?
It would seem whilst your temps are high, they don't appear to be hot enough to cause restarts generally (if they are PEAK temperatures you have linked)

Solution
Sep 8, 2019

How old is your PSU?
It would seem whilst your temps are high, they don't appear to be hot enough to cause restarts generally (if they are PEAK temperatures you have linked)
all the drivers are installed and i've been using this power supply for 1.5 years, but these days we had inconsistent power voltage rates and constant blackouts almost everyday, would that maybe cause this issue? and yes i had xmp enabled but then i turned it off and returned to the default bios settings and the temperature reach 90 as the peak temperature, but when i do the benchmarks it starts off at 88c and then rises to 90-92

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
but these days we had inconsistent power voltage rates and constant blackouts almost everyday, would that maybe cause this issue?
That can almost undoubtedly cause an issue, ultimately your PSU is taking the wild AC current from the wall, regulating, converting it, and then trying to stabilise the output, so a lot can go wrong.

So peak temperature of the CPU is 90 degrees under load? Is this when playing games etc.? If so, this is fairly high and ideally should be lower, below 85 degrees at least ideally, but the Tjunction of the 7700K is 100 degrees so it should throttle before it reaches these temps.

Reactions: Nearlo
Sep 8, 2019
That can almost undoubtedly cause an issue, ultimately your PSU is taking the wild AC current from the wall, regulating, converting it, and then trying to stabilise the output, so a lot can go wrong.

So peak temperature of the CPU is 90 degrees under load? Is this when playing games etc.? If so, this is fairly high and ideally should be lower, below 85 degrees at least ideally, but the Tjunction of the 7700K is 100 degrees so it should throttle before it reaches these temps.
at first i did a stress test for both GPU and CPU 10 minutes later the CPU temp started hitting 90c and reached 100 at first it was just 70, then i stopped the stress test and re-did it this time cpu only and the temps didn't go above 70 and it restarts while on idle and only chrome was open that's what confuses me the most

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
at first i did a stress test for both GPU and CPU 10 minutes later the CPU temp started hitting 90c and reached 100 at first it was just 70, then i stopped the stress test and re-did it this time cpu only and the temps didn't go above 70 and it restarts while on idle and only chrome was open that's what confuses me the most
100 degrees could easily cause a shut down, but stress testing (especially Prime95) will simulate load that no normal application does. So really the important bit would be what temperatures you are hitting in normal circumstances.

I'd also be tempted to use HWInfo and check the 12, 3.3, and 5V rails min and max values. The software isn't always the most accurate but it could indicate if the PSU is beginning to fault. If you've been having power outs, then this could well be the issue.

Are you using a UPS?

Reactions: Nearlo
Sep 8, 2019
100 degrees could easily cause a shut down, but stress testing (especially Prime95) will simulate load that no normal application does. So really the important bit would be what temperatures you are hitting in normal circumstances.

I'd also be tempted to use HWInfo and check the 12, 3.3, and 5V rails min and max values. The software isn't always the most accurate but it could indicate if the PSU is beginning to fault. If you've been having power outs, then this could well be the issue.

Are you using a UPS?

well didn't i just said that the stress of the cpu without combining it with the gpu stress didn't reach 90-100 now it reached 100, and if there is a lack of cooling would that be a problem? like the hot air isn't getting out of the case would that be a problem? also on the normal bench when i open a game without the prime95 the temps are around 80-70c and no it's not UPS
also here is a screenshot while of the temps while playing a game
https://prnt.sc/p3c106

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Voltages appear to be OK
Temps are high for a game, but shouldn't be enough to warrant a shut down. Either way you'd probably want to reduce them, as for Intel CPUs ideally keeping them under 80 degrees is best, below 85 is fine, below 80 is better.

I'd sooner suspect the outtages are causing your issues, are the shutdowns still reoccurring even after the outtages? A UPS would be useful for overcoming that issue, but with outtages you also have surges or brownouts etc, that can easily cause issue with the PSU.

I'd go back to my original point too: