PC restarts several times before finally booting with sound but no display

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
My very old Dell Desktop Inspiron 545 is having difficulty booting. When I power it I hear the fans start up and the pc tries to boot but ultimately fails, this cycle repeats itself 2-3 times before finally booting up.

Occasionally the PC will boot without displaying anything and I can hear the windows start up music. The GPU is an old nvidia gt610. Is this problem a hardware or software issue? I think it might be the power supply failing but i'm not entirely sure.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Unless you've overclocked your PC, it's most likely hardware-related.

I'd try removing the GPU, and if without it, it still cycles several times, put the GPU back in and try unplugging the 4-/8-pin CPU power from the mainboard.
Basically, continue unplugging/removing parts (only keep the 24-pin ATX connector connected to the mainboard at all times) until the PC doesn't cycle several times anymore.

That way, you can determine whether it's any other component than the PSU that has failed.

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
I have read some people saying that it might be something about the bios but I have no experience in tweaking any bios settings so I will most likely do what you suggested tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks