[SOLVED] PC restarts unique case, hard to solve

Aug 18, 2020
I'll categorize the issue. Been facing this since I bought the PC, its almost been 1 year. The service centre says all is okay because it doesnt happen there, or they put the blame on my second hand GPU which gives the top notch FPS and peeformance, more on this below.

Problem: PC restarts
When? After the first startup from shut down mode, or after it shut down due to power outage/power cut/load shedding.

When again? After the first restart, it restarts as soon as I load up a full screen app or game.

When again? The gap reduces and next time it would restart anytime after the welcome screen whenever it feels like it.

When again? Doesnt even make it to welcome screen.

Temporary Solution:
1. After power cut. I keep CMOS battery out, and power cable out. Then after 15-20 mins when I start up the PC. There is absolutely 0 restart, UNTIL the next power cut or manual shut down. Which is pretty often.

2. Nothing else works.

Tried:
  1. GPU changing
  2. Ram sticks changing, slots changing
  3. Cleaning up everything
  4. BIOS updates
  5. Windows updates
  6. SSD upgraded (no HDD)
  7. GPU CPU and every kind of stress test OK.
  8. Memtest perfect score.
  9. Connected in 2 houses in 2 different cities, same issue, surely not electric line fault.

Config:
MSI Tomahawk Max B450
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB
ThermalTake Toughram RGB 8x2
ThermalTake UX200 CPU Cooler
ThermalTake BX1 RGB 650W Semi Modular PSU

I'm literally suffering for an year now. Tired of plugging and unplugging the battery and power cord almost twice per day. Electricity goes out for 1 minute? I have to wait for 15 minutes before I turn the PC on again to have a smooth ride until next power cut.

Please lemme know if anyone got any clue. The only obvious things I couldnt change is the PSU and Mobo. But the fact that PC works PERFECTLY as soon as I reset BIOS with battery removal, should mean that its not a physical issue no? IDK but I've heard a good amount of taunting getting a new PC with such <Mod Edit> power issue but decent performance when it actually works :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The BX1 is a piece of garbage. Perhaps you should spend your money on an actual good quality power supply instead of all the fancy colored light effects that your system is full of. Also, if you're having regular issues with the power mains reliability you should be using a UPS.
The BX1 is a piece of garbage. Perhaps you should spend your money on an actual good quality power supply instead of all the fancy colored light effects that your system is full of. Also, if you're having regular issues with the power mains reliability you should be using a UPS.

Solution
Aug 18, 2020
This is why I just went straight to Tomshardware today.

I bought a 1200VA Ups just yesterday. Today when I was just writing a few stuff, not even gaming, power cut off. Pc didnt shut off or blink. All was okay. Electricity came back on within 2 minutes. PC was still okay. Then after around 30 seconds, it starts restarting. Acts like I forgot to reset CMOS and turned PC on, while it was ON the whole time.

I do agree BX1 might be THE garbage I need to throw. Because I hope its not my mobo.

This is why I just went straight to Tomshardware today.

I bought a 1200VA Ups just yesterday. Today when I was just writing a few stuff, not even gaming, power cut off. Pc didnt shut off or blink. All was okay. Electricity came back on within 2 minutes. PC was still okay. Then after around 30 seconds, it starts restarting. Acts like I forgot to reset CMOS and turned PC on, while it was ON the whole time.

I do agree BX1 might be THE garbage I need to throw. Because I hope its not my mobo.
The Tomahawk Max is a pretty good board. Start with the power supply. A decent low budget PSU will cost you $75-100 USD. Depends where you're buying from and what is currently available.

Reactions: fazewalker
Aug 18, 2020
Will try replacing PSU even if temporary. Will post update.

Meanwhile if someone else have faced this issue firsthand and/or can pinpoint the exact root of the fault, please post below. I'm eagerly checking every once in a while. I've tolerated 1year, more than enough.

Will try replacing PSU even if temporary. Will post update.

Meanwhile if someone else have faced this issue firsthand and/or can pinpoint the exact root of the fault, please post below. I'm eagerly checking every once in a while. I've tolerated 1year, more than enough.
Check this list for brands and models. You should be selecting from tier A or B but don't go below tier C. Your Thermalcrap is tier D. A good quality 550 watt model is enough.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/