[SOLVED] PC restarts when gaming and testing, should I refund my MB and PSU?

KingOfLagg

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
These are my computer specs:

Motherboard: Asrock b450m Steel Legend

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: Oloy 16GB 3200Mhz CL16

GPU: Palit Gamerock OC RTX 3070TI

PSU: Cooler Master MWE V2 650W Gold

So a few days ago, I finally got my long awaited video card, I installed it onto my computer and after setting up windows and drivers I started playing couple games I started with war thunder on max settings, after a while I got my first freezing with buzzing noice, so I had to press reset switch in order to be able to get back on windows, I continued to play again and this time it restarted my computer like someone pressing a reset switch, and kept happening with benchmark utilities too, so my friend told me to turn off xmp profile, cause his brother had similar issues with xmp turned on the same motherboard that I have, I turned off xmp it appears it can benchmark quite well, so I thought my problem was solved until I faced a restart when playing doom eternal on ultra, it restarts my pc after a while, and happened in other games too, I guess the more demanding the game is the more quickly it will restart, so I did a memtest86 on usb stick and everytime I test the ram it goes for a couple minutes and it would restart my pc and get me into windows again, I tried 1 stick and it worked and passed the test, then tried the second one it also passed, so both ram are good except they can't complete the test when both are installed, so I tried to insert the ram on slot 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4 and it worked without restarting, and it passed the test too, so does that mean I should send back my motherboard or get a new one? and another thing when I use AIDA64 Extreme to test my system instability for gpu only, it restarts my PC after 10 mins, so I am thinking the PSU is not supplying enough wattage for my gpu? and also a weird thing I tried to lower the power consumption and the clock of the gpu, but it keeps restarting when testing,

so what do you guys recommend should I just change the PSU and motherboard cause I still have the window return on amazon valid until August 10 and also I tried DDU and reinstalled gpu drivers twice, formatted my computer, updated the bios to latest, rebuilt the whole computer twice I even ran it outside the case, checked the temps, after posting this thread I am gonna take my gpu and go to a computer store and test my gpu on a build, I hope someone out there can help me through this I am really exhausted and in pain 😂💔

Solution
It could be the PSU can't handle the 3070ti transient power spikes. You could test the theory by using MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to the graphics card. This will cause the GPU to not boost its clock speed as high and use less power. See if the restarting issue persists.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? What GPU were you using prior to the RTX3070Ti? You might want to look into sourcing a PSU that's higher in wattage to rule out your PSU being the culprit. Which motherboard BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? Which GPU drivers are you working with? You're advised to install your GPU drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. This would mean that you should source your drivers from Nvidia's support site.

KingOfLagg

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? What GPU were you using prior to the RTX3070Ti? You might want to look into sourcing a PSU that's higher in wattage to rule out your PSU being the culprit. Which motherboard BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? Which GPU drivers are you working with? You're advised to install your GPU drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. This would mean that you should source your drivers from Nvidia's support site.
The PSU is new, everything is brand new basically, I didn't have previous GPU or computer, this is my first computer build, as for the drivers my current bios version is 4.10 and the GPU is 471.41 and yes I Installed the GPU drivers from Nvidia website, I did run it as administrator.

It could be the PSU can't handle the 3070ti transient power spikes. You could test the theory by using MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to the graphics card. This will cause the GPU to not boost its clock speed as high and use less power. See if the restarting issue persists.

Solution

KingOfLagg

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
I already tried all kinds of underlocking settings, still the same results, so I sent the MB and PSU for a refund and getting an 850W and B550 and will see if the problem still persists, I hope it doesn't, I'll update once I get the parts