PC restarts when gaming or stress testing CPU

Thylin

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
My PC restarts randomly when playing demanding games. It also restarts after only about 10 seconds of doing FFT test in Prime95.

This started after I bought and installed a FX-8350 CPU, a GTX 1060 GPU and 8 gb more RAM.
I thought it could be my PSU, so I bought a new EVGA SuperNova G2 650W but the problem is still there.
I ran Memtest86 overnight and it passed. I have 4x 4gb Corsair Vengence sticks running at 1600mhz. I also ran Furmark to test the GPU and it ran without problems. It's when I stress the CPU in Prime95 it will restart.

I have a CM Hyper Evo 212 CPU fan and my CPU core and socket temps don't go over 50c. It never reaches any higher in Prime95 since it will restart so quickly. CPU temp is currently 34c in idle. I am using default BIOS settings for the CPU and not overclocking. I have the latest BIOS version.

The only thing I haven't bought new is my motherboard, which is an old Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 rev 1. Even though I didn't have this problem before upgrading my CPU/GPU, could my motherboard be the cause? Or should I RMA the CPU? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have spent so many hours trying to fix this issue and am honestly at a loss at this point.

Solution
Try to reset BIOS by removing CMOS Battery for few seconds and putting it back. Look at your CPU voltage too, maybe it need to be increased.
Cheers.