[SOLVED] PC Restarts when playing games (Kernel Power 41)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2020
I built my PC about 2.5 months ago. In the past 2 months I have had a consistent issue where my PC will turn off and automatically turn back on while playing games and I get the Kernel Power event ID 41 Task category (63). This issue is only in specific games, which is the strangest part. I can play demanding games like COD Warzone for hours with no crash. However, CSGO, Valorant, and Smite crash after about 10-20 minutes of playing. I am not sure what this could possibly be. The parts:
PSU: Corsair CX750M 80+ Bronze ATX
CPU: Geforce GTX 1660 Super
HDD: Segate Barracuda 2TB HDD
SSD: Western Digital WD Blue SN550
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3h
I have tried to go through the usual steps, because this is usually a PSU issue. First I made sure I had all the latest drivers. I manually removed multiple audio drivers in driver manager. I used Driver Booster to scan for other updates. I got the latest Geforce Driver from GeForce experience. I then ran various testing softwares to check if it was a temperature issue. I ran OCCT and did all the tests possible. No overheating, no memory fails, nothing. Eventually I give up and give it to my local PC guy who does every test imaginable. He took out each piece and tested them individually and in different machines. He could find nothing wrong with any individual piece. On top of that, he couldn't get it to crash running any of the normal tests. I told him to play Overwatch and sure enough after 25 minutes the PC turns off and back on. He couldn't figure out what was failing though, and even rebuilt my PC with a different mobo and it ran Overwatch fine. So we concluded that it is either the mobo or the GPU if it is a graphics card issue. So I went ahead and replaced the mobo with a new one (same model as the old one), and of course when I boot it up it shuts off. I'm kinda lost right now, because if it was a GPU issue it would crash in the tests. I have not reinstalled Windows, but that might be the next step. Any ideas?

Jul 18, 2020
Did he test your pc with another psu while playing?

Did he check bios? Update it ...
He checked the PSU with a voltage test and also plugged it up to a different machine and had no crashes.
Update:
Had an old version of the BIOS for my mobo and updated it. Still had the issue afterwards. An interesting thing though, when playing counterstrike it only crashed in the beginning, like the first round, and then played the entire game per usual. Any ideas?

Jul 18, 2020
What i would liketo see if he could test your pc with another psu while playing and see if it still would crash.
So he put a new psu in and it continued to crash, so it was not the psu. Update though, I replaced the PCie cable to the graphics card and the psu with a new one and it has yet to crash after about 5 hours of gameplay. The only time it crashed was when I was tabbed out of counterstrike (it was running but I was on my desktop) and opened up my razer mouse settings. The program stopped responding and my computer crashed. Not sure what the correlation is, since it was crashing at the shop without my mouse connected.

Reactions: JuanOlgomiec
Jul 18, 2020
Weird .... have the latest program/drivers for the mouse?
I do, I just updated all of them. It shouldn't be the mouse though because it crashed at the PC shop when the mouse wasn't even plugged in. It just now crashed playing Smite, but has yet to crash in CSGO and Overwatch after a day or so of playing. Really not sure what the issue could be, any help would be great.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can in the end only think of two things,

1. motherboard and something else aren't compatible and at some point this gives problems, think about ram in this case. Since you swapped your motherboard for the same model can this still be true.
  2. Your cpu gives problems, always the last thing you think about, but maybe in your case it at some point it gives problems.
Since your parts were tested in other systems, if i've read well, could any thing work fine in those systems, but combined in your pc it gives problems. For that reason seems nr 1 most likely.

What new psu did he test with btw? Can maybe be item nr 3 ....

Jul 18, 2020
Can in the end only think of two things,

1. motherboard and something else aren't compatible and at some point this gives problems, think about ram in this case. Since you swapped your motherboard for the same model can this still be true.
  2. Your cpu gives problems, always the last thing you think about, but maybe in your case it at some point it gives problems.
Since your parts were tested in other systems, if i've read well, could any thing work fine in those systems, but combined in your pc it gives problems. For that reason seems nr 1 most likely.

What new psu did he test with btw? Can maybe be item nr 3 ....
Update: After a few days of no crashes it just crashed in the Overwatch lobby after maybe 3 minutes of being in the game. There were no issues with compatibility when making my PC on PC Part Picker, and the RAM I have shouldn't be incompatible. So not really sure where to go from here, I spent a lot of money and am trying to single out the issue so I don't have to build a completely new system.

Jul 20, 2020
Hey, try to benchmark with unigine valley.. is it crash or not ? Also do ypu have any issues with program like steam or discord ?

Jul 18, 2020
Hey, try to benchmark with unigine valley.. is it crash or not ? Also do ypu have any issues with program like steam or discord ?
No crashes on any testing programs, even Superposition didn't crash (albeit did not perform well, it is only a 1660 GPU). I just factory reset my Windows so we will see if that has any effect, will keep this thread updated.

UPDATE:

Just crashed after about an hour of playing CSGO. Not sure where to go from here, or what part it could possibly be.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020
Hey everyone. I wanted to update everyone on this issue because I scoured the internet for answers and a follow-up like this is always helpful. I narrowed down my issue because I was finally able to get it to crash out of game using the Valley Benchmark program. When running that it would crash before finishing a benchmark cycle. I took it to the PC shop and we determined it must be the graphics card. I put in a new card, and boom, a crash as soon as I try to run Valley. This is after a new motherboard, reseated CPU, new graphics card, memory tests on my RAM, and drive tests on my SSD and HDD. My PSU passed all voltage and surge tests at the shop, but lo and behold when we put in a new PSU the PC worked like a charm. We have no idea what the actual issue is, but it ended up being something about the PSU. Even Corsair ones can mess up, which added to the idea of it not being the PSU. I bought a new ThermalTake one and haven't had an issue since. For anyone who has this strange issue, I recommend 1) searching for a program that can recreate the crash, this makes it immensely easier when trying to test and 2) replacing the PSU first, it is relatively cheap and easy to replace compared to a GPU or a mobo, so start there. I hope this helps someone who has this same issue, and best of luck!

Reactions: Vic 40
Status
Not open for further replies.