PC Restarts When Playing Games.

Eka Permana Putra

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I have a PC that I build 3 months ago, and now my pc Always restart randomly while I Playing Games, "Only While Playing Game".
5 days ago I dont play games at all, before that the PC does not like this,
and Today (7 june 2015) when I want to play the game, it happens , after playing 3-5 min , my PC Always Restart.

My Spec ( No Overclock ) :
- Windows 7 64bit
- Intel Core i5 4690K
- MB : MSI H81M E35 V2
- RAM : Team Dark 2x4Gb Dual Channel
- VGA : MSI R9 270 Gaming 2G
- PSU : Corsair VS550
- HDD : WD 3.5" 1TB + Hitachi 2.5" 750Gb
- Cooler : Deepcool Maelstorm 120K liquid cooler

sory for bad english.

I try to monitoring my GPU and CPU temperature using MSI afterburner while playing a Game before my PC restart, and the temperature is never more than 75 degrees Celsius for the GPU and never more than 55 degrees for the CPU.

my friends tell me to Update My VGA Driver, I do it, but no change.
I try to ReInstall my Windows & I install newest VGA Driver, I clean my Fan , Casing and other from dust, I replace my Thermal Paste. but still same. no change.

Please help me...

Was the PSU thoroughly cleaned when the rest of the PC was? If not, I'll suggest unplugging the PSU, and blowing compressed air through it until no dust comes out. If using canned air, place the plastic wand down into the PSU to get the corners real good. If the PSU was cleaned, continue on...

It does sound like a power problem but I'm not thinking that there isn't enough power, the VS550 will put out 550W (when operating properly) and although mains voltages may be sloppy where OP is (the VS series is 200-240V input only so not US). Reviews of the VS series (that I found) are favorable except it does feature Capxon capacitors which is generally considered a handicap (they tend to last about as long as the warranty of the PSU does, sometimes not that long). If it is the PSU, specifically the capacitors, it may be feasible to repair the PSU by replacing the Capxon caps with Nichicon, Rubicon, Panasonic or other quality caps without much expense

^I agree, cleaing it out is always a good idea.
but, is replacing the capacitors a good idea? who would be doing it? I would not advise opening a PSU and poking around with a metal soldering iron... if you have experience with working on them it might be a possibility, but it would appear to be more trouble then it is worth. new quality capacitors could cost around $20 or more once shipping is added, and I doubt that PSU was much more than $50 when it was new. factor in the time needed to unsolder the capacitors and then resolder in the new ones, and I really cannot see this as a worthwhile idea unless you want a better knowledge of how a power supply works. if corsair will replace them that would be okay, but some how I do not think they will. If the mains are no good there, then it is likely that that PSU is not going to run well regardless of what is done.

To Eka Permana Putra, As mentioned before if you would want to do this to better learn about a PSU, then by all means do it, but do be careful to make sure every thing is 100% discharged. some of those capacitors can lead to some nasty shocks.

Ah, you're thinking of super caps, nothing that special is needed in a PSU, the quality caps needed to repair a PSU can be found for under $1 USD each but it isn't something I would try without some experience but I'm also thinking there is an electrical repair shop somewhere nearby if OP doesn't have the knowledge or tools... and then I notice that the PC was built only 3 months ago (how did I miss that)

Is the whole system 3 months old? PSU also?

^ funny I missed the three month too... as for those capacitors I guess I over repaired an old PSU then... not all bad I guess...
what is your wall socket rated at?
in terms of amps? you may have to track it back to your circuit breaker. I was OCing at a friends house and he gave me the other room, without knowing that it had a weak outlet,(or he did and wanted to sabotage me...) I was benching and the whole thing shut down and then rebooted just fine. I was thinking either the PSU was toast or the OC was unstable, but it was solid new PSU and I was not that far overclocked yet. it turned out that the wall outlet was to weak to handle the lead, and kept tripping and then resetting.