Question PC restarts when playing games

Charlieh65

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
My PC Specs are: i5-2400, GTX 1060 3GB, 8GB RAM, Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W PSU
WHen I insert my old GPU GT 1030, everything works great albeait slower (expectedly), but when I plug in my GTX 1060 it works great unil the point I open a demanding game.
I've had my PC restarting itself, showing white screen and freezing and once yellow screen and freezing. It hapenned as soon as I start a more demanding game or play for a bit for something that isn't demanding.
I've checked with MSI Afterburner moments before the crash. Both CPU and GPU temps were around 55 degrees celsius, and my combined watt usage was around 150W.
I was thinking my GPU was the issue but it works normally on stress tests and it has normal temps. My PSU might be an issue since it's quite old but I saw it doesn't use that much power.
I dunno why this is hapenning. Event Viewer says nothing about issues, except it logged a hardware error once it restarted.
Any help?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is the system within the minimum specs of the game(s) you are having this issue with?

Try something like this:
Download CPU-Z and Furmark. Get furmark going at your target resolution and then run the stress test in CPU-Z and see what temps and stability do.

If I were going to make a guess based on the 1030 working, and the 1060 not, I would also be pointed towards the PSU. As you mention, it could well be the graphics card as well. Strange that you would not be seeing anything in Event Viewer. Does Reliability History show anything?

Current driver for the graphics?

Charlieh65

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
The games should work fine considering the minimum specs.
I already did Furmak test and other CPU stress tests and both have temps under 70 degrees celsius.

Event Viewer only says that PC was shut down unexpectedly which doesn't tell me anything.

Charlieh65

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
Yes, event 41. But strange that it hapenned now, after I exchanged my GPU, and it still works fine if I put my old one on. Maybe cause the new one takes more power than PSU can handle? I'd buy a new PSU, but I'm unsure, cause what if GPU is at fault. I bought it used, but the seller still says it worked fine in his PC; and it should work fine in mine. If he was really selling me a faulty product, I don't think he'd still respond, I think. Also the PSU is really old at this point...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, put it this way. If you purchase a new higher power quality PSU and the issue didn't resolve, you mention having a return window and would open the door to more powerful graphics cards. Be aware that even at the level you are now, that aged 2nd gen i5 would be holding you back for something much higher line for graphics.

TRENDING THREADS