[SOLVED] PC restarts when playing modern games

Sep 13, 2021
My PC has been restarting itself since I bought i (two years ago)t. This happens when I play non-old games. The PC restarts itself somewhere between 5 to 40 minutes into playing a game. Here are some games where this occurs:
Tribes of Midgard, Hearthstone Battlegrounds, Starcraft 2

And some games that work perfectly fine:
Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Slay the Spire, Diablo 2

The graphics settings on which I play a game do not seem to have an affect though. Playing a game on minimal graphics setting still makes the PC restart.

The PC specifications are:

Windows 10 Home Edition English

Cooler Master B500 V2 KOMPLETT Edition
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 PLUS, 1x 4+4 CPU, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 3x Molex,

Intel Core i7-8700 Processor
Socket-LGA1151, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 3.2/4.6GHz, 65W, Coffee Lake, including cooler

akasa AK-959CU Komplett Edition
CPU Cooler, LGA 1150/1155/1156, 115W, PWM,

ASUS TUF B360M-Plus Gaming, S-1151
Motherboard, mATX, B360, DDR4, 1xPCIe-x16,

Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 16GB
2x8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM

ASUS GeForce GTX1660 DUAL EVO
Graphics Card, PCI-Express 3.0, 6GB, GDDR5, Turing

Kingston A1000 480GB M.2 SSD
M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x2, NVMe, 3D TLC, up to 1500/900 MB/s, 300TBW

I've tried quite a few things already. Here's what I have tried and none of them have solved the problem.

Switched the PSU to Corsair RM750 (750 W).

Formated the computer and reinstalled Windows.

Updated BIOS

Played with an open Chassi and an external fan blowing

Turned of all automatic restart, hibernate, sleep functions that I could think of in Windows.

I also did plug in my old computer and funny enough did it, after a while, experience some similar problems. It also restarted itself when I launched a game within a game, so to speak. In this case it was Tribes of Midgard. However that computer is 7 years old at this point, so It's expected to see some problems when playing modern games on it. Though, because it acted in a similar manner I thought of switching the power outlet and the power cable. It did not make a difference. However I have not yet tried any of the computers at another place then my own.

I have monitored some temperatures and the CPU temperature occasionally gets pretty high. I believe I've noticed 94 degrees C, but since the program I am using don't have a log function I cannot see if that was the issue before the computer restarts. I've also been in contact with the supplier from which I bought it and they thought it was the PSU, but since I switched that and hence ruined my warranty I cannot expect any help from them. They did actually assemble the computer from the start.

Any help is most appreciated!

Solution
I have monitored some temperatures and the CPU temperature occasionally gets pretty high. I believe I've noticed 94 degrees C, but since the program I am using don't have a log function I cannot see if that was the issue before the computer restarts. I've also been in contact with the supplier from which I bought it and they thought it was the PSU, but since I switched that and hence ruined my warranty I cannot expect any help from them. They did actually assemble the computer from the start.

94C is high. I'm not sure the exact temperature an 8700 will begin to throttle. My 9900K throttles at 100C. If you've 'noticed' 94C, then it's certainly possible it's hitting it's TJ max temperature...
My PC has been restarting itself since I bought i (two years ago)t. This happens when I play non-old games. The PC restarts itself somewhere between 5 to 40 minutes into playing a game. Here are some games where this occurs:
Tribes of Midgard, Hearthstone Battlegrounds, Starcraft 2

And some games that work perfectly fine:
Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Slay the Spire, Diablo 2

The graphics settings on which I play a game do not seem to have an affect though. Playing a game on minimal graphics setting still makes the PC restart.

The PC specifications are:

Windows 10 Home Edition English

Cooler Master B500 V2 KOMPLETT Edition
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 PLUS, 1x 4+4 CPU, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 3x Molex,

Intel Core i7-8700 Processor
Socket-LGA1151, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 3.2/4.6GHz, 65W, Coffee Lake, including cooler

akasa AK-959CU Komplett Edition
CPU Cooler, LGA 1150/1155/1156, 115W, PWM,

ASUS TUF B360M-Plus Gaming, S-1151
Motherboard, mATX, B360, DDR4, 1xPCIe-x16,

Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 16GB
2x8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM

ASUS GeForce GTX1660 DUAL EVO
Graphics Card, PCI-Express 3.0, 6GB, GDDR5, Turing

Kingston A1000 480GB M.2 SSD
M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x2, NVMe, 3D TLC, up to 1500/900 MB/s, 300TBW

I've tried quite a few things already. Here's what I have tried and none of them have solved the problem.

Switched the PSU to Corsair RM750 (750 W).

Formated the computer and reinstalled Windows.

Updated BIOS

Played with an open Chassi and an external fan blowing

Turned of all automatic restart, hibernate, sleep functions that I could think of in Windows.

I also did plug in my old computer and funny enough did it, after a while, experience some similar problems. It also restarted itself when I launched a game within a game, so to speak. In this case it was Tribes of Midgard. However that computer is 7 years old at this point, so It's expected to see some problems when playing modern games on it. Though, because it acted in a similar manner I thought of switching the power outlet and the power cable. It did not make a difference. However I have not yet tried any of the computers at another place then my own.

Did you update the chipset and management engine?

Sep 13, 2021
Go to the mobo site.
Look under support bios and drivers.
Read the fine print and go slow.
All right, thanks! But what is your suspicion, do you feel like it's likely that it could be motherboard software related, or is this just a thing to try before concluding that it's a hardware issue?

94C is high. I'm not sure the exact temperature an 8700 will begin to throttle. My 9900K throttles at 100C. If you've 'noticed' 94C, then it's certainly possible it's hitting it's TJ max temperature.

Download/run a program like HWiNFO to get idle and gaming temperatures.

Last edited:
Solution