[SOLVED] PC restarts when voltage fluctuates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emad Qidwai

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Hello everyone,
I have an inverter + stablizer + ups for my pc. But whenever current fluctuates in my room, my PC restarts. NO error, no bsod nothing.

My pc specs are :
mobo msi b450m-pro m2 max
ryzen 3500
1060 3gb
4 x2 ddr4 ram
1 HDD, 1 SSD.
My power supply is VP450P.

However, when I manually try to turn off the main grid of electricity, my pc never restarts.

Also this happens most of the time when I am gaming.

I have recorded voltages using HWInfo.

Solution
My budget is approx 7000 INR.

Easy!

Unfortunately, the India market associates low wattage with cheap PSUs and high wattage with high end PSUs and doesn't consider that there are low wattage, high quality PSUs.

But you can get the SilverStone Viva for well under budget: https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...ne-viva-series-650w-80-gold-smps-sst-va650-g/

It's TOTALLY overkill, BUT it clicks ALL of the bullet points. LLC, DC to DC, good quality fan, quiet, full range, decent hold up time. I don't think there's a better deal in India right now.

Ralston18

Titan
On your computer look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede or correspond with the restarts.

What make and model is that inverter + stabilizer + ups?

Age, condition?

How many devices is the inverter supporting? Does your area have many power outages and surges?

Any specific things that you have noticed when the current fluctuations occur: some other device being turned on or off?

Are you gaming when you turn off the main grid?

What are the actual power connections?

For example (line diagram):

Main grid ---> Circuit ----> Inverter (etc.) ---->[PSU] Computer

Update and correct my line diagram as necessary: include other devices, power strips, etc...

Power off is one thing. Power fluctuations are another.

If your inverter, etc. has taken multiple hits due to local power problems then the inverter's ability to protect and provide may be gone.

Surge protectors, for example, can only absorb so many Joules. Once past that limit then protection is lost.

My power supply is VP450P.

I found your problem.

230V only PSU with very limited hold up time. So you can have one of two things (or both) happening. Either the voltage is dropping below 200V at some point and the PSU is shutting down because it's not made to function at lower mains voltages and/or the voltage is dropping out for longer than one AC cycle.

Guarantee if you weren't using a garbage PSU, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Get a PSU that has full range input and at least 16ms hold up time at full load (1 second = 1000ms. 16ms = 1000ms/60Hz).

Emad Qidwai

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi guys,
Sorry for the late reply.
After posting the question I changed my inverter to see if that solves the issue.
Now there is no current fluctuation in my room.

For few days, I did not face any problem, but again I am facing the same issue.

Today, whenever my AC's compressor is switching my pc is restarting.
Generally I don't face this problem during daytime.

Emad Qidwai

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
On your computer look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede or correspond with the restarts.

What make and model is that inverter + stabilizer + ups?

Age, condition?

How many devices is the inverter supporting? Does your area have many power outages and surges?

Any specific things that you have noticed when the current fluctuations occur: some other device being turned on or off?

Are you gaming when you turn off the main grid?

What are the actual power connections?

For example (line diagram):

Main grid ---> Circuit ----> Inverter (etc.) ---->[PSU] Computer

Update and correct my line diagram as necessary: include other devices, power strips, etc...

Power off is one thing. Power fluctuations are another.

If your inverter, etc. has taken multiple hits due to local power problems then the inverter's ability to protect and provide may be gone.

Surge protectors, for example, can only absorb so many Joules. Once past that limit then protection is lost.
Main grid ----> voltage Stablizer ----> Inverter (etc.) ---->[PSU] Computer

Emad Qidwai

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Where are you located/who would you buy from (link to stores?)

Different products are available in different regions. What I suggest that is for sale in the U.S. may not be available in Romania.
I am from India.
link to websites :

https://mdcomputers.in
http://primeabgb.com

https://mdcomputers.in/corsair-cx650f-rgb-80-plus-bronze-fully-modular-cp-9020217-in.html

Saw that. Says out of stock.

If OP has the budget, I'd like to find something that not only is full range, but also has respectable hold up time.

My budget is approx 7000 INR.

Easy!

Unfortunately, the India market associates low wattage with cheap PSUs and high wattage with high end PSUs and doesn't consider that there are low wattage, high quality PSUs.

But you can get the SilverStone Viva for well under budget: https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...ne-viva-series-650w-80-gold-smps-sst-va650-g/

It's TOTALLY overkill, BUT it clicks ALL of the bullet points. LLC, DC to DC, good quality fan, quiet, full range, decent hold up time. I don't think there's a better deal in India right now.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.