[SOLVED] PC restarts while gaming

Vicarious1

Prominent
Oct 13, 2021
I've been having some trouble with my pc over the past couple of months. Whenever I game, there's a chance that my pc will suddenly shut down (as if someone pulled the plug on it. No BSoD or restart message), and then immediately begin to power back up again. The resets seem to be random too. Sometimes I can game all day with no issues, other times I can't play for 5 minutes before it shuts down, regardless of the kind of game I'm playing. It doesn't happen any other time I'm using my machine, only when I'm gaming. My PC is about 3-4 years old by now, and I've never had any of these issues until a few months ago. I've tried a number of solutions in order to try and fix the problem, but nothing seems to be working. Here's an inconclusive list of all the things I've attempted:
  • Reducing the graphics settings in multiple games from high to medium
  • Limiting the max CPU usage to 90%
  • Disabling the function that automatically restarts if an error is encountered
  • Clearing out all temp and cache files
  • Reinstall drivers, and check for updates
  • Scan for viruses or malware
  • Monitor the CPU and GPU for overheating (temps are fine)
  • Reseat the GPU
  • Clear out all dust from inside the case
  • Run both the windows memory diagnostic tool and Memtest86 to check for faulty memory
  • Removed the RAM sticks that came up with errors, and reseated the others, which came up with no errors
I'm not sure what else I can do at this point to troubleshoot, and like I said before, the PC runs totally fine the rest of the time. This problem only comes up when gaming, and it seems impossible to predict when/if it's going to happen during any given session. Here are the specs for my machine:
  • Intel i5-7600K
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 ti
  • 4 x 8gb Gskill Ripjaws DDR4-2400MHz
  • EVGA 450 BT PSU
  • Windows 10 Home
  • EVGA Z270 FTW K Motherboard
  • Fractal design Liquid cooling
  • Kingston 120gb SSD
  • Seagate 2Tb HDD
If anybody has any other ideas as to what could be causing these restarts and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Solution
Hey there,

Random re-starts like that typically point to a PSU issue. Yours is not the best, but far from the worst either. However, if it's older than 3 years or so, it's possible it's starting to fail.

I'd go get another one, and hopefully that fixes your issue.
Hey there,

Random re-starts like that typically point to a PSU issue. Yours is not the best, but far from the worst either. However, if it's older than 3 years or so, it's possible it's starting to fail.

I'd go get another one, and hopefully that fixes your issue.

Solution