[SOLVED] Pc restarts while playing certain games

Jul 3, 2020
Hey, I Don't know if this is the correct forum to ask, but here it goes.

When I try to play some older games (Batman Arkham city and The witcher enhanced edition, to be precise) I run them for a few minutes, sometimes even an hour or two, and then the pc reboots, no bsod, no nothing, just reboots. What I find weird is the fact that it doesn't happen with more demanding games like Jedi fallen order or Detroit become human, which makes me think it is not a hardware problem.

I already tried the following:

memtest with no errors

2 stress tests (furmark and occt) without crashes and temps not going higher than 75c. While playing those games temps don't go over 45c

uninstall the gpu drivers with DDu and then reinstalling them.

using only one ram and changing slots

virus scan with avast and malwarebytes

clean the dust

Reinstall the OS

As I said before, no bsof but a minidump states that the problem is video_tdr_failure 116 and mentions dxgkrnl.sys and atikmpag.sys,

my specs are:

Ryzen 3 1200
RX 570
16gb ram (2x8)
asrock x370m-hdv am4
I don't know about the PSU, it was gifted to me by a friend when I built this pc in october. I suppose it has some years on it. I suspect it may be the cause of the problem, but if it were it wouldn't pass the stress tests, right? I just want to be sure befire spending money on one in this tight times

Any idea? Thanks in advance

Solution
I reinstalled Windows, this time formatting the hard drive, and the problem seems to be fixed. So the PSU wasn't the culprit appearently, but I guess it was time to update it anyway. I still wonder what was the problem with the OS though

Definitely a good idea to swap out the PSU. You dodged this bullet and this is the best time to avoid the next one!

It's always a good idea to keep a flash drive with your drivers and such, sometimes a Windows re-install is simply the best way to resolve nagging issues. With planning, you can make it relatively painless in the future.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Look at the label on the side of the PSU. What is the make/model? Need to rule it out.

Also, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

When you installed Windows, did you also update your motherboard chipset and video drivers (downloaded directly from AMD)?

Jul 3, 2020
No overclocking whatsoever.

I updated the video drivers but not the motherboard chipset.

As regards the PSU, it's a generic brand with 450watts. That is why it is my main suspect, but the fact that when the pc is under a big load it works fine, but reboots when playing less demanding games confuses me

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, I would stop the troubleshooting until the PSU is replaced. That you didn't even ask what PSU it was before installing a GPU is very troubling; the hope is that the PSU hasn't damaged your GPU. PCs with GPUs that require supplementary power are not builds into which you just throw some random PSU.

Jul 3, 2020
So, I ordered a new PSU just in case. It will arrive in a couple of days. In the meantime, I installed Linux in dual boot, and using this OS the pc does not restart while playing these games, have been testing for several hours now. What may be causing the pc to restart while using Windows?

Jul 3, 2020
I reinstalled Windows, this time formatting the hard drive, and the problem seems to be fixed. So the PSU wasn't the culprit appearently, but I guess it was time to update it anyway. I still wonder what was the problem with the OS though

DSzymborski

Titan

Definitely a good idea to swap out the PSU. You dodged this bullet and this is the best time to avoid the next one!

It's always a good idea to keep a flash drive with your drivers and such, sometimes a Windows re-install is simply the best way to resolve nagging issues. With planning, you can make it relatively painless in the future.

Solution