Question PC restarts while playing games.(Kernel-power 41)

yakamaster

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi all,

I recently bought an asus gtx 970 graphic card from a friend and worked well for a while, but now when i play games computer freezes and restarts. sometimes after restarting it keeps on restarting until it becomes stable again. These freezes and restarts are totally random and comes even when the pc is in idle. I had the same issue with a prior GTX 970 so i sold it to a friend and he didn't have the problem. this issue comes after few weeks of installing the graphic cards. In the event viewer i can seen a kernel power error(41) after every restart. this does not occur when there is no graphic card installed. i have done every possible thing and even bought a new corsair power supply. hope you guys can help. thanks in advance

My PC specs are

Intel core i5 4670k
MSI z87 G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 970 strix
Corsair 650vs PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
tridentx 16GB 2400mhz RAM kit
Windows 10 pro

Lutfij

Titan
When you've mentioned you're tried every possible thing, what have you tried? It's so that we don't repeat what you've already tried. How old is that PSU? What did the GTX970 replace? The VS series is something that should be treated as a paperweight, regardless if it's used or bought brand new. Which version of the OS are you on?

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
Hi all,

I recently bought an asus gtx 970 graphic card from a friend and worked well for a while, but now when i play games computer freezes and restarts. sometimes after restarting it keeps on restarting until it becomes stable again. These freezes and restarts are totally random and comes even when the pc is in idle. I had the same issue with a prior GTX 970 so i sold it to a friend and he didn't have the problem. this issue comes after few weeks of installing the graphic cards. In the event viewer i can seen a kernel power error(41) after every restart. this does not occur when there is no graphic card installed. i have done every possible thing and even bought a new corsair power supply. hope you guys can help. thanks in advance

My PC specs are

Intel core i5 4670k
MSI z87 G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 970 strix
Corsair 650vs PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
tridentx 16GB 2400mhz RAM kit
Windows 10 pro

I had a similar issue on my old rig. There the first pci-e slot was somewhat defective and was randomly producing kernel power errors.
Installing the gpu in another slot did fix the problem. So i advice you to try the same and see if it helps.

yakamaster

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
When you've mentioned you're tried every possible thing, what have you tried? It's so that we don't repeat what you've already tried. How old is that PSU? What did the GTX970 replace? The VS series is something that should be treated as a paperweight, regardless if it's used or bought brand new. Which version of the OS are you on?
What i have done so far..

https://windowsreport.com/kernel-power-41-error-windows-10/

I can assure you that the issue is not with the psu cos i have checked with several psus.

I sold the previous ASUS GTX 970 due to this issue( But that card was not faulty). I did not have a graphic card for a while and the problem came again when i installed another Gtx 970. Dont know if this happens with a different GPU rather than 970.
I had this issue on older versions of windows 10 and i have it now with the latest windows 10 versions

When this occurred with previous GTX 970 I disabled On-board sound controller and used a USB sound adapter instead. This worked for a while and came again after a month or so.Now this method does not work anymore.

yakamaster

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
I had a similar issue on my old rig. There the first pci-e slot was somewhat defective and was randomly producing kernel power errors.
Installing the gpu in another slot did fix the problem. So i advice you to try the same and see if it helps.

Just did what you asked. I will check for a few days and report back. thanks

May 4, 2019
i am also facing the same issue when i use my gpu the same prob came i think psu did this Removedi am going support center tommorow let's see what they tell i will update you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Corsair 650vs

"White certified"

What does that even mean?

Granted, some manufacturers don't submit test samples for extensive certification because of cost, and this is the LOWEST Corsair unit I believe.

PSU is suspect. Still, heat related issues may cause that tripping as well. If overclocking, set all clocks down to stock. Does your MB VRM area have adequate cooling?

How is your case airflow? Inadequate cooling / airflow may be causing issues over time. Check cable bundling, number and flow of fans, other airflow impediments.
Try breadboarding the system outside the case with an external fan, and/or using a large box fan, an open case side, and blow air into and through the case at an angle with large box fan.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
It is the power supply, the VS series white certified is pretty bad. I wonder when people still start realizing that there is no such thing as budget power supply and start paying more attention to buying better ones.