Question PC restarts with no warning

Ahmed_151

Reputable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi guys,

Im not even sure if the problem is Windows 10. Anyway, 4 days ago I was updating a game through battlenet. And suddenly my PC restarted without a warning. After the restart I still managed to get to my desktopscreen a few times. But it kept restarting after some time again. Sometimes it would go to the blue screen of windows to ask you what you would like to do (continue to windows, or restart, or go back to a memory saved point). Tried some of repairs in that option menu. But now I can't start up Windows. And can't even get to BIOS anymore (this was not immediately after I chose the options). The computer now just restart over and over again. I removed my GPU and RAM and attached it again. No success. Now my VGA LED lights up on my motherboard. I changed the DisplayPort cable but still no screen. The thing why I suspect Windows is because 2 days before the first reboot was, my PC suddenly turned on while I was sleeping (PC was in sleepmode). I think it was just updating Windows or something. But it was late and decided to "hard shutdown" the computer as the RGBs lightened up my room XD. So I think Windows is now screwing up my PC but im not sure. I also removed my SSD, HDD and that also didnt work. Im curious how I can fix this as I can't even get to BIOS now...

Hope someone can help me.. I'm lost

Ahmed_151

Reputable
Dec 16, 2016
Im sorry first time making a post
My specs are:

MSI GTX1080Ti
i7-7700K
RM850x (psu)
TridentZ G-Skill 32GB (4x8GB 3200Mhz)
Asus ROG maximus IX Formula
Corsair hydro H115 (280mm)
SSD 500GB M.2 Samsung
128GB SSD M.2 Intel
2TB HDD Barracuda

If any more information is needed let me know
The SSD and RAM were just purchased this year in January. All the other stuff is more then aprrox. 2 years old.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Im sorry first time making a post
My specs are:

MSI GTX1080Ti
i7-7700K
RM850x (psu)
TridentZ G-Skill 32GB (4x8GB 3200Mhz)
Asus ROG maximus VIII Formula
Corsair hydro H115 (280mm)
SSD 500GB M.2 Samsung
128GB SSD M.2 Intel
2TB HDD (don't know the brand anymore)

If any more information is needed let me know
The SSD and RAM were just purchased this year in January. All the other stuff is more then aprrox. 2 years old.

I would start with a minimum configuration and go from there. Pull out the non-OS hard drives, all but one stick of RAM, and the GPU (running on the integrated graphics). Then you can add things back and see if you can isolate the problem.

Generally speaking, a hard shutdown during a Windows Update (or any hard shut down) can affect storage drive integrity, but that really shouldn't keep you from reaching BIOS. It's possible it's the first cause that led you here that's causing the problem. It'd be an easier guess if you had a low-quality power supply, but you have an excellent one.

Ahmed_151

Reputable
Dec 16, 2016
So, removed the 2TB HDD and 128GB SSD. Still no success. I put my GPU in another PCI-E slot still no success. I attached my DisplayPort cable to my motherboard instead of the GPU still nothing. Removed all RAM sticks. And placed 3 individually apart from each other. Still no boot. I managed to get to BIOS only once and tried to boot on the 500GB SSD. But then it immediately rebooted again.. My windows is running on the 500GB SSD. Tomorrow I will swap it for the 128GB to see if it will boot up on that one. On the motherboard it will go from VGA to BOOT LED which means the VGA "process" succeeded. But as soon as it reboots the VGA LED turns on again So frustrating..

Edit: so I switched the SSDs still no success, attached my DisplayPort to another monitor still no success. Eventually removed my GPU and tried to boot on my motherboard but still.. tried to put the feeding cable directly into the wall (as it is now in an extension cord). Still no success... the only thing I could think of now is. Faulty motherboard or power supply?? Even changed the CMOS battery. But im not even sure... 1 out of 10 times im able to get into BIOS. Is there something I can fix from there?

Im able now to get to BIOS but as soon as I want to boot to Windows it restarts again. Also my GPU gets really hot. I think thats the reason why it shuts off?

Last edited: