[SOLVED] Pc restarts without monitor signal while using 2 stick of ram, works fine on a single stick

Aug 26, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I have noticed that pc gets sudden restart without monitor signal if I have 2 stick of ram together(specially after enabling XMP profile, it just boots without monitor signal with just cpu lights and fans on), for a single ram stick, pc doesn't have any issue. I built my pc in 2019, just facing the issue lately. I should also mention that I have had another issue that pc doesn't boot immediately if I didn't unplug the power cables after the last time usage, it just boots after some time.

my pc specs are- i5 9600k(never overclocked), mobo Gigabyte z390, ram 2x8gb , psu Cooler Master PWE 650 W, gpu 2060( I added it later, the delay pc start problem existed before that). When I am running pc, my temperature seems normal, I checked the voltage on bios menu and in HWMonitor, seems fine as well.

Solution
You could start with some of the memory tests, so you could rule it out at 2133 MHz. Then you may have to adjust voltages for your ram, you may need to make sure pc is overclocked enough if you're just running stock... there might be some other voltage settings you may need to tweak if you really want to run 3200 MHz. I'd start somewhere there since you say you can't even post at 3200 MHz XMP.

The random restarts may not have anything to do with your memory but since you mentioned not being able to post with xmp, you might as well rule that out and maybe fix it. If you do get errors on the test, it might be only one of them and you'd have to test them one at a time.

I just saw your other post too, so it is two different ram...
Hey there,

Well given it's a ram issue, can you post the make/model of your DIMMs. Were they part of a matched kit? If not, that's is possibly the issue. If they were working before together, it's possible one has become faulty (or perhaps was to begin with). If you have only purchased the ram, RMA it.

You can try and set the DIMMs manually through the bios, but, if you have mixed DIMMs (as in two DIMMs but from different manufacturers or different model numbers) then this may not work.

You could also have a PSU issue going on with your boot issue. Have you had any random system re-starts?

Reactions: Krotow
Aug 26, 2021
Problem 1 :

which I am facing recently, pc restarts randomly while using. By reboot, I mean cpu light fan on without any monitor signal.
So I reshuffled ram in the slots and here are my observations:

a) 2 ram stick in A1 and B1(2133 Mhz). Runs for a while and suddenly restarts, might even be after hours. If I enable the XMP profile(3200 Mhz), I get lesser time, sometimes reboots within a minute.
b) 2 ram stick in A2 and B2. Same result like (a) .
c) 1 single stick in A1 slot. Works fine , no reboot, used for almost 10 hours.
d) 1 single stick in B1 slot. Works fine , no reboot, used for almost 10 hours.
e) Now I am using the slot B1 and B2, without dual channel facility with XMP profile on(3200 Mhz). It just restarted a while ago...so I guess that's a fail as well.

My ram model - Corsair 8 GB x 2. DDR-4 3200 Bus Vengeance LPX Ram.
mobo - Gigabyte 9th gen Z390 UD
psu - Cooler Master PWE 650 W

Problem 2:

Well this has been there pretty much from the beginning. I use my pc, I shut down pc and I can not immediately turn on the pc , after pressing power button it takes time for the CPU to turn on. I figured out a solution that if I unplug from the wall and the problem sometimes goes away. This has always been a random ghost problem, it just happened for few days and suddenly goes away and then suddenly one day I would forget to unplug from the wall and my pc would again take some time to start after pressing button.

Thanks for your response !!!

Last edited:
Your MOBO BIOS in "Advanced Memory Settings" have "Memory Boot Mode" option. When set to "Normal", BIOS will try to find optimal parameters for both RAM modules after reboot. You should try that.

Also I would listen to @keith12 above and would find identical RAM module to one you already have. Or buy a kit of 2 modules with selling existing ones.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 26, 2021
wait a second, by matched kit, do you mean the package where they sell two in a pack? I remember they give me two kit from two different pack since they ran out of it or something although both are same model and everything.
But this didnt cause any issue within this two year.

wait a second, by matched kit, do you mean the package where they sell two in a pack? I remember they give me two kit from two different pack since they ran out of it or something although both are same model and everything

"Kit of 2" or "Kit of 4" are a kit of 2 or 4 identical RAM modules, tested in factory for match to avoid issues during high loads and overclocking.

I remember they give me two kit from two different pack since they ran out of it or something although both are same model and everything

And there is the problem. They gave you quite different RAM modules - one XMP capable and other - not capable. Or one of them can work in slower overclocking mode. You should make a pair of identical modules in end. Or get a kit o 2 and sell existing ones.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 26, 2021
hello, so here is a bit update, I was actually wrong about the issue on a single ram stick working fine individually, eventually after sometime the problem came back even on a single ram stick.
I would like to add, when the pc reboots w/o my monitor signal, the cpu status is lit(red) on my mobo.
mobo - gigabyte z390 ud

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

The delay you see is likely the motherboard bios recognizing a ram issue and is trying to find a set of settings that work.

Aug 26, 2021
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

The delay you see is likely the motherboard bios recognizing a ram issue and is trying to find a set of settings that work.

I don't think ram kit is a prob here because even in a single ram stick, the same prob happens after sometimes. So basically sooner or later pc has this random restart problem but if I try two ram stick in 3200 MHz dual channel then it doesn't give any time, I am stuck in a continuous restart loop(cpu light fan on with no monitor signal) from the beginning.

Aug 26, 2021
PC restarts while using, without monitor signal. CPU fan lights on.
  • tried shuffling ram slots and single ram stick. Still restarts randomly while using.
  • despite random restart while using, if I enable XMP profile ram speed(2133 to 3200 Mhz) , pc restarts with a restart loop
my pc spec-
i5 9600k
GIgabyte Z390 ud
ram 2*8 gb
psu Cooler Master MWE 650W

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
I'm not a ram guru but I was in overclock mode with my ram yesterday so you could do some tests with it and maybe change around speed, timings etc. Does it boot up with 2133 speeds or no and can you not get into bios at all? If you fail a ram oc attempt, depending what features are on your board, you might need to clear cmos with a button or use jumpers or pull the cmos battery for 15 minutes. If you can get to bios, test different ram speeds, timings out...xmp or not.

Aug 26, 2021
I'm not a ram guru but I was in overclock mode with my ram yesterday so you could do some tests with it and maybe change around speed, timings etc. Does it boot up with 2133 speeds or no and can you not get into bios at all? If you fail a ram oc attempt, depending what features are on your board, you might need to clear cmos with a button or use jumpers or pull the cmos battery for 15 minutes. If you can get to bios, test different ram speeds, timings out...xmp or not.
Yes I did
  • cleared CMOS, even replaced it
  • tried different ram slots, dual channel, single stick, still restarts suddenly without monitor and cpu fan lights on
  • It boots with 2 rams with 2133 MHz but suddenly restarts without monitor and cpu fan lights on
  • If I enable XMP profile on, ram 3200 Mhz, pc doesn't boot, stuck on a restart loop
  • CPU status led is ON in my motherboard as per error code

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
Yes I did
  • cleared CMOS, even replaced it
  • tried different ram slots, dual channel, single stick, still restarts suddenly without monitor and cpu fan lights on
  • It boots with 2 rams with 2133 MHz but suddenly restarts without monitor and cpu fan lights on
  • If I enable XMP profile on, ram 3200 Mhz, pc doesn't boot, stuck on a restart loop
  • CPU status led is ON in my motherboard as per error code

Is this new ram or same ? I'd maybe try to do basic test then with your ram at 2133 settings....get memtest 86, follow the instructions to put it on a usb stick and boot from it. Run the test, it will probably take a couple hours but you'll know if the ram is good. There are also a few other ram tests in windows you could do and if it wont pass those either, you know somethings off maybe.

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md has a list of ram testing software etc.

It could be something else causing that but if you're having trouble booting xmp 3200, it could be board related, imc related from the chip...every chip and imc memory controller work together so, they aren't the same and it's like a lottery, as well as what memory you purchased, although if it is xmp rated at 3200, it should have been tested but it could be imc or board related... how long has this been happening, did you do other system changes ?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021
I have been running this system since 2019 without much problem, only other issue I ever faced a ghost issue where the pc won't start immediately after I press power button on...it usually happens when I dont unplug the pc from wall after using it...and this problem is random too

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
You could start with some of the memory tests, so you could rule it out at 2133 MHz. Then you may have to adjust voltages for your ram, you may need to make sure pc is overclocked enough if you're just running stock... there might be some other voltage settings you may need to tweak if you really want to run 3200 MHz. I'd start somewhere there since you say you can't even post at 3200 MHz XMP.

The random restarts may not have anything to do with your memory but since you mentioned not being able to post with xmp, you might as well rule that out and maybe fix it. If you do get errors on the test, it might be only one of them and you'd have to test them one at a time.

I just saw your other post too, so it is two different ram kits...ya I would do the memory tests and you might have to do it on both of them individually. Ram can work really easily together and downclock and lower timings to the lowest denominator or it can just be really finicky when you use different sticks, even from same manufacturer.

Last edited:
Solution