PC restarts without warning when playing a game

ejrm968

Prominent
Jun 12, 2018
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my computer. My PC restarts without warning whenever I play games. It restarts as if I was pressing the restart button on the side of my rig (which definitely I was not doing when this problem occurs).

It never happened before, and I already have my PC for 2.5 yrs now.

The first time that I remember it happened was when I was playing Witcher 3. At first, only at that particular game my computer restarts. Then afterwards, it was happening on every other game that I play.

The only game that is playable for me (with the lowest video setting possible) now is Dota 2. Turn up the video quality a bit higher then computer will restart at the middle of the game.

I tried several things I read here, but I'm still quite not sure what I'm looking for. I tried monitoring the temperatures of my GPU and CPU before it crash and both of them are around 70 deg. C.

I also tried running the OCCT test to my GPU, running the DirectX9 version (I can't run DirectX11 because I'm getting an error whenever it starts - "Crysis2.exe has stopped working.." for some reason). -still my pc restarts just after 2-3minutes of running this test.

Here are my components:
-MSI Z170A Gaming Pro (MS-7984)
-Intel Core i5 6600
-1x Kingston 8GB DDR4-2134
-AMD Radeon R9 390 Series
-Corsair CX750M

I have 2 disk drives:
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
- ST2000DM001-1ER164

ejrm968

Prominent
Jun 12, 2018

I would say 2.5 years. I bought all of them at the same time except for the Samsung SSD which were added around January 2017.

ejrm968

Prominent
Jun 12, 2018

I tried looking for the exact brand you mentioned from the nearby stores and unfortunately they dont have that exact number.. I'm not sure if this brand will work or is it good enough: http://www2.seasonic.com/product/m12ii-750-evo/

It is the only stock they have left for that brand.

For a good power supply, are there any specifics that I need to look out for so that I can also search other brands?

ejrm968

Prominent
Jun 12, 2018

Thank you for this. It seems that my PSU is really at fault. Though I could not test exactly on my current setup because my 2nd HDD seems to be dead, I tried installing the games where my pc restarts to my SSD and now it's not restarting at all. :D

Really, big thanks for the input :bounce: :bounce: