ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I did a pc restore it should have taken it back to factory settings but
theres still old files from me that i created. My friend says that windows is
corrupted and when i try to pc restore it windows actually then starts to
restore itself which interferes with the pc restore can anyone please tell me
whats going on?
--
n67509

In news:C7637F46-A562-42FD-81AC-8EB1FEB86DC5@microsoft.com,
ray <rtom@hotmail.com> typed:

> I did a pc restore it should have taken it back to factory
> settings
> but theres still old files from me that i created. My friend
> says
> that windows is corrupted and when i try to pc restore it
> windows
> actually then starts to restore itself which interferes with
> the pc
> restore can anyone please tell me whats going on?

Please explain *exactly* what you did when you "did a pc
restore."

If you're properly using the manufacturers restore CD to do this,
it doesn't matter whether Windows is corrupted, because
everything on the drive is wiped out. Since you say "theres still
old files from me that i created," it isn't at all clear what you
did.

Please reply to the newsgroup

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

pc restore didnt work response to response... xp was installes in package
from dell when i bought the pc there wasnt a cd to use but ive done pc
restores in the past and had no problems evan with out the operating system
cd .. shouldt it have worked this time to?

In news:8B932480-2798-4698-A362-457257621301@microsoft.com,
ray <rtom@hotmail.com> typed:

> pc restore didnt work response to response... xp was installes
> in
> package from dell when i bought the pc there wasnt a cd to use
> but
> ive done pc restores in the past and had no problems evan with
> out
> the operating system cd .. shouldt it have worked this time
> to?

Sorry, as I said, I have no idea what you did. If you want help,
please do as I asked: tell us *exactly* what you did.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> en Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:C7637F46-A562-42FD-81AC-8EB1FEB86DC5@microsoft.com,
>> ray <rtom@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> I did a pc restore it should have taken it back to factory
>>> settings
>>> but theres still old files from me that i created. My friend
>>> says
>>> that windows is corrupted and when i try to pc restore it
>>> windows
>>> actually then starts to restore itself which interferes with
>>> the pc
>>> restore can anyone please tell me whats going on?
>>

>> Please explain *exactly* what you did when you "did a pc
>> restore."
>>
>> If you're properly using the manufacturers restore CD to do
>> this,
>> it doesn't matter whether Windows is corrupted, because
>> everything on the drive is wiped out. Since you say "theres
>> still
>> old files from me that i created," it isn't at all clear what
>> you
>> did.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Ken, i sure hope im giving you the right information you wanted. i turned my
computer off, on restart i held down the f11 key to go to p.c. restore mode
from there i continued through the restore process untill finished. Started
then doing updates for nortons and also for windows downloaded those turned
off the computer. The next day i had to take my pc in to my work ( I work
from home) to have the .I.T. Tech guys reinstall the program needed for my
job. they soon called me in to tell me that something was way wrong with my
computer, that windows was corrupt saying instead of actually performing a
complete pc restore that it only appered to have succesfully done so. they
pointed out files( recent) that should have been gone.. They said windows
trying to repair itself was interfereing. From that point on i called dell
and complained ,who in turn is sending me out a restore cd. still im having a
hard time understanding what in the world could go wrong with the pc restore
process. its a uniqe experiance to me.Ken i just dont get it.Actually Ken
after the pc restore i had 18 updates for windows and about 11 for nortons
the I.T. guys at my work said when i down loaded and installed all 18 updates
for windowws at once , windows corrupteed itself through out making it
impossible for the the restore to be affective, that the p.c.restore files
were bad and that windows was in fact during pc restore was trying to fix
itself . i myself thought that was impopssible. That evan if the windows pc
restore files were bad it wouldnt matter because the commands in pc restore
mode assured a proper restore point. I thought thats why there WAS a system
and pc restore. can you tell me any thing? 67509

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:8B932480-2798-4698-A362-457257621301@microsoft.com,
> ray <rtom@hotmail.com> typed:
>
> > pc restore didnt work response to response... xp was installes
> > in
> > package from dell when i bought the pc there wasnt a cd to use
> > but
> > ive done pc restores in the past and had no problems evan with
> > out
> > the operating system cd .. shouldt it have worked this time
> > to?
>

> Sorry, as I said, I have no idea what you did. If you want help,
> please do as I asked: tell us *exactly* what you did.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > en Blake" wrote:
> >
> >> In news:C7637F46-A562-42FD-81AC-8EB1FEB86DC5@microsoft.com,
> >> ray <rtom@hotmail.com> typed:

> >> Please explain *exactly* what you did when you "did a pc
> >> restore."
> >>
> >> If you're properly using the manufacturers restore CD to do
> >> this,
> >> it doesn't matter whether Windows is corrupted, because
> >> everything on the drive is wiped out. Since you say "theres
> >> still
> >> old files from me that i created," it isn't at all clear what
> >> you
> >> did.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup

If it's a Dell Inspiron or Dimension, 'Dell PC Restore' (by Symantec) is
installed on a hidden partition and Dell Tech Support should have walked you
through the steps to use it. Call 'em back and get someone on the phone
who'll do so!

NB: Don't mention anything about the IT guys from work fiddling with the
machine or you'll likely be looking at an invalid warranty.

> ...the I.T. guys at my work said when i down loaded and
> installed all 18 updates for windowws at once , windows corrupteed itself
> through out making it impossible for the the restore to be affective, that
> the p.c.restore files were bad and that windows was in fact during pc
> restore was trying to fix itself .

Horse hockey! (I'd bet $20 they screwed it up themselves. Keep your machine
out of their hands from now on.)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

ray wrote:
> Ken, i sure hope im giving you the right information you wanted. i turned
> my
> computer off, on restart i held down the f11 key to go to p.c. restore
> mode
> from there i continued through the restore process untill finished.
> Started
> then doing updates for nortons and also for windows downloaded those
> turned
> off the computer. The next day i had to take my pc in to my work ( I work
> from home) to have the .I.T. Tech guys reinstall the program needed for my
> job. they soon called me in to tell me that something was way wrong with
> my
> computer, that windows was corrupt saying instead of actually performing
> complete pc restore that it only appered to have succesfully done so. they
> pointed out files( recent) that should have been gone.. They said windows
> trying to repair itself was interfereing. From that point on i called dell
> and complained ,who in turn is sending me out a restore cd. still im
> having
> a hard time understanding what in the world could go wrong with the pc
> restore process. its a uniqe experiance to me.Ken i just dont get
> it.Actually Ken after the pc restore i had 18 updates for windows and
> about
> 11 for nortons the I.T. guys at my work said when i down loaded and
> installed all 18 updates for windowws at once , windows corrupteed itself
> through out making it impossible for the the restore to be affective, that
> the p.c.restore files were bad and that windows was in fact during pc
> restore was trying to fix itself . i myself thought that was impopssible.
> That evan if the windows pc restore files were bad it wouldnt matter
> because the commands in pc restore mode assured a proper restore point. I
> thought thats why there WAS a system and pc restore. can you tell me any
> thing? 67509
>

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:8B932480-2798-4698-A362-457257621301@microsoft.com,
>> ray <rtom@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> pc restore didnt work response to response... xp was installes
>>> in
>>> package from dell when i bought the pc there wasnt a cd to use
>>> but
>>> ive done pc restores in the past and had no problems evan with
>>> out
>>> the operating system cd .. shouldt it have worked this time
>>> to?
>>

>> Sorry, as I said, I have no idea what you did. If you want help,
>> please do as I asked: tell us *exactly* what you did.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

>ray" <rtom@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ken, i sure hope im giving you the right information you
> wanted. i turned my
> computer off, on restart i held down the f11 key to go to p.c.
> restore mode

OK, I understand better now. This is not a standard Windows
function, but one that's special to machines sold by your
vendor--Dell. I can't help much with how this works; although I
do have one Dell machine (a laptop) it came with a regular
Windows installation CD, and doesn't have this kind of special
restore capability.

But read Robear's response to you. He clearly knows more about
this than I do, and his advice makes sense to me.

> from there i continued through the restore process untill
> finished. Started
> then doing updates for nortons and also for windows downloaded
> those turned
> off the computer. The next day i had to take my pc in to my
> work ( I work
> from home) to have the .I.T. Tech guys reinstall the program
> needed for my
> job. they soon called me in to tell me that something was way
> wrong with my
> computer, that windows was corrupt saying instead of actually
> performing a
> complete pc restore that it only appered to have succesfully
> done so. they
> pointed out files( recent) that should have been gone.. They
> said windows
> trying to repair itself was interfereing.

I agree with Robear. You're probably getting bad advice from the
people at work. Don't pit them against each other, but trust the
people at Dell, who probably know *your* system better than the
people at work. Have the Dell people walk you through fixing it.

> From that point on i called dell
> and complained ,who in turn is sending me out a restore cd.
> still im having a
> hard time understanding what in the world could go wrong with
> the pc restore
> process. its a uniqe experiance to me.Ken i just dont get
> it.Actually Ken
> after the pc restore i had 18 updates for windows and about 11
> for nortons

That's not surprising. Dell's restore process puts the system
back to its delivered condition. Any Windows fixes after that
date still need to be applied.

And Norton updates are another thing entirely. They have nothing
to do with Windows.

> the I.T. guys at my work said when i down loaded and installed
> all 18 updates
> for windowws at once , windows corrupteed itself through out
> making it
> impossible for the the restore to be affective, that the
> p.c.restore files
> were bad and that windows was in fact during pc restore was
> trying to fix
> itself . i myself thought that was impopssible. That evan if
> the windows pc
> restore files were bad it wouldnt matter because the commands
> in pc restore
> mode assured a proper restore point.

You're mixing up two uses of the word "restore." The Windows
System restore feature, which creates restore points, has nothing
to with Dell's feature of restoring the operating system to its
factory-installed condition.

ray Wrote:
> I did a pc restore it should have taken it back to factory settings
> but
> theres still old files from me that i created. My friend says that
> windows is
> corrupted and when i try to pc restore it windows actually then starts
> restore itself which interferes with the pc restore can anyone please
> tell me
> whats going on?
> --
> n67509

If you did a 'system restore' via start-help and support-system
restore, selected a restore point and went from there, that would
explain why files you created would still be there. This utility allows
for system changes to be 'recovered from' should things have gone pear
shaped. If you want to do a 'fresh out of the box' situation, you will
need to use either your XP disc or a recovery disc supplied with your
machine, follow the on screen prompts, and as log as you know what to
look for you should find it fairly straight forward, ( I am assuming
you realise that this will mean a TOTAL reset, leaving nothing behind )
(actually thats not strictly true, you could completely reformat the
drive a dozen times and a forensic bod could still recover data) In
terms of windows interupting, it could be that you are trying to do one
thing quite correctly but are missing a promt somewhere along the
route.

Good luck, hope you have success

Regards
Paul.