PC restore with a twist

I have a dimension 2400 and 2200. I lost the operating system disk for the
2400, but have it for the 2200. Will the same operating system disk work on
the both computers?

yes. and if you are talking windows xp, then if your boot from the dell xp
cd before installing you will not be asked to enter in a serial number to
'activate' (it will ask you to register which you can chose to do or not...
but activation is necessary or the machine will not start after 30 days
until you do).