Question PC running below expectations

Sep 13, 2022
Hey all...

So, a bit of background, I am decently versed in PC. I built my own PC, have done a full upgrade, have repaired multiple minor software issues on my own and other peoples' PCs, etc.
I fairly recently (<6 months) ago did a big overhaul on my software, as I was having some major bogging issues. In the end, I did a pretty standard hard reset, which ended in me updating to WIN 11.
Since then, it's run very stably, however I've recently reinstalled Dota 2, and will randomly get major frame drops whenever there's anything going on. For info:

My original build was back in 2019, and consistent of a GeForce GTX 1060 3gb, an AMD FX-8350 eight-core, 16 gigs ram, an Asus M5A78L-M, a Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig + 2 tb HDD, and a Rosewill Hive 750S
More recently (2021), I did a pretty major update. I upgraded to the following:

ASRock RX 5700 XT (My options were spend 600 for the 5700 or 1400 for a 2070 at that time)
Intel I7 9700K
32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM
Asus Prime Z390-P
Added in a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1 TB M.2
Running dual monitor, Acer ED273 A, and an Acer GN246HL
Old storage and cooling (Hyper 212 EVO air cooled)

For capabilities, I can graphics test run Shadow of the Tomb Raider on ultra without issue ordinarily, but for whatever reason, no matter what I do if I'm playing Dota, the game will just randomly bog down and struggle.
I haven't done much if anything in the way of overclocking, but I don't see any reason it should be struggling.
The only thing I can think of that could be causing issues is the power supply, as Rosewill is a mediocre brand, but I can't imagine that's the cause of the issues... can it?

If I can get any advice on optimizing or dealing with this issue, let me know!
Thanks

Hey all...

So, a bit of background, I am decently versed in PC. I built my own PC, have done a full upgrade, have repaired multiple minor software issues on my own and other peoples' PCs, etc.
I fairly recently (<6 months) ago did a big overhaul on my software, as I was having some major bogging issues. In the end, I did a pretty standard hard reset, which ended in me updating to WIN 11.
Since then, it's run very stably, however I've recently reinstalled Dota 2, and will randomly get major frame drops whenever there's anything going on. For info:

My original build was back in 2019, and consistent of a GeForce GTX 1060 3gb, an AMD FX-8350 eight-core, 16 gigs ram, an Asus M5A78L-M, a Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig + 2 tb HDD, and a Rosewill Hive 750S
More recently (2021), I did a pretty major update. I upgraded to the following:

ASRock RX 5700 XT (My options were spend 600 for the 5700 or 1400 for a 2070 at that time)
Intel I7 9700K
32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM
Asus Prime Z390-P
Added in a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1 TB M.2
Running dual monitor, Acer ED273 A, and an Acer GN246HL
Old storage and cooling (Hyper 212 EVO air cooled)

For capabilities, I can graphics test run Shadow of the Tomb Raider on ultra without issue ordinarily, but for whatever reason, no matter what I do if I'm playing Dota, the game will just randomly bog down and struggle.
I haven't done much if anything in the way of overclocking, but I don't see any reason it should be struggling.
The only thing I can think of that could be causing issues is the power supply, as Rosewill is a mediocre brand, but I can't imagine that's the cause of the issues... can it?

If I can get any advice on optimizing or dealing with this issue, let me know!
Thanks
Just to take a look download this.

UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Post some info about this psu.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Start with enable xmp in the bios....test.

That's not a gaming psu.

You might want to put replacing that on your things to do list.

There is no such things as "Gaming PSU"
It's not an exceptionally great unit, but it's by no means a bad unit, so there is no reason to upgrade that with his specs. It's a microcenter house brand and rated as C tier, it will do it's job just fine. Lets not fix things that don't require fixing.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
There is no such things as "Gaming PSU"
It's not an exceptionally great unit, but it's by no means a bad unit, so there is no reason to upgrade that with his specs. It's a microcenter house brand and rated as C tier, it will do it's job just fine. Lets not fix things that don't require fixing.
That psu could be 10+ yrs old it has a 3 yr warranty.

I think the op has got their monies worth.

I said 'might' not 'must' the op can make their own call.

Sep 13, 2022
That psu could be 10+ yrs old it has a 3 yr warranty.

I think the op has got their monies worth.

I said 'might' not 'must' the op can make their own call.

My power supply is likely the next thing on my list of upgrades.
I'll enable XMP at earliest convenience in the hopes that will do the trick, but I think it's deeper rooted than that. I'll dig further - any other things I should check out?

Sep 13, 2022
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55280105

Updated benchmark, for the run post-XMP. Will keep posted on if there's any other issues than that.

As I mentioned previously, is there any further hardware/software/setting suggestions or modifications, or is there a simple way to OC my GPU, or is there not much I can do outside of hardware upgrades? (My next step for upgrade is my power supply, then likely GPU a bit of a ways down the road)

E - still having the game lag issue randomly, no clue what causes it.

Last edited:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55280105

Updated benchmark, for the run post-XMP. Will keep posted on if there's any other issues than that.

As I mentioned previously, is there any further hardware/software/setting suggestions or modifications, or is there a simple way to OC my GPU, or is there not much I can do outside of hardware upgrades? (My next step for upgrade is my power supply, then likely GPU a bit of a ways down the road)

E - still having the game lag issue randomly, no clue what causes it.
Looking better.

Next step
Update the bios your way behind and chipset if needed.

Run UBM.