Question PC Running hotter due to DIY Glass side panel

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To me, from the picture, the cpu fan is pulling air from the heatsink, pushing hotter exhaust right into the side fan which blows it straight back down. If that's right, you've disrupted airflow from the front to high rear, which would have continuously supplied cooler air in a flow, and created a hot spot where downwards flow is expanding in all directions and pushing the cooler front intake air right back on itself, as well as recycling hotter air continuously into the cpu.

If planning on keeping the side fan, make sure the cpu fan is blowing towards the heatsink. Personally I'd just not use the side fan at all or at best use it as another exhaust so cpu heat is directed out, replenished by the front.

Air flow is somewhat different to air movement.

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
To me, from the picture, the cpu fan is pulling air from the heatsink, pushing hotter exhaust right into the side fan which blows it straight back down. If that's right, you've disrupted airflow from the front to high rear, which would have continuously supplied cooler air in a flow, and created a hot spot where downwards flow is expanding in all directions and pushing the cooler front intake air right back on itself, as well as recycling hotter air continuously into the cpu.

If planning on keeping the side fan, make sure the cpu fan is blowing towards the heatsink. Personally I'd just not use the side fan at all or at best use it as another exhaust so cpu heat is directed out, replenished by the front.

Air flow is somewhat different to air movement.
yeah i ditched the side panel fan it works better but still warmer i think making a vent where the cpu fan is should help

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Kinda, but no. If you imagine the airflow in your case like a large tube. Blow air in one end, it comes out the other. If you sick a vent hole in the middle things get lopsided, the exhaust fan is pulling less from the intake, or the intake blows less to the exhaust. You basically get a leaky tube that's less effective.

What you want is air pushed in the front and sucked out the back, taking heat with it. Between the psu and rear fan, they are already placed perfectly for exhaust. If anything I'd mount that side fan facing upwards, even if there's no intake available, put it on stilts at a low rpm so it'll pull the intake air and push it at the cpu cooler. Basically a shunt or booster fan.