PC Running slow after closing games, but not during games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I've been noticing recently that after closing some games, my computer will become sluggish. As I'm typing this, there is a one second or so delay, Youtube vids will run choppily, ect. The strange thing is that this happens AFTER I close the game, not during and it seems to come and go slightly over time. I can watch youtube vids smoothly and tab out during game play with no issues. It's only after the game is closed that the issue presents itself.

A reboot clears the issue up so I thought it might be a memory issue, but my system is only using about 5-10% CPU and around 30% of my physical memory My next thought was some form of page file issue, but the drive my OS is on has over 20 gigs free on it. My primary drive is an SSD but most of my games are on and HDD so I'm not sure if defragging the HDD would help. My understanding it that one does not normally defrag an SSD. Just not sure how to proceed, any help would be greatly appreciated.

System info:
CPU: i5-4670K
Ram 16GB
Primary drive 120GB SSD
Secondary drive 230GB SSD
Tirtiary drive 2TB HDD (Main gaming drive)

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Two highest are steam and Firefox. Nothing really stands out.

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Is this what we are looking for?
https://imgur.com/eZsoY8H

Ok that makes sense. 100% disk usage is usually based on the total usage/number of disks. So you can see that it jumps to about 50% usage. With 3 drives that means a couple of them or all of them are at high usage. Also, it appears Windows is using your page file quite excessively. Is that a custom page file? And steam is using the most data, so the data is being transferred from the F: HDD -> C: Steam -> Uploaded to Steam cloud.

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

This is odd. It is not a custom page file, but it is set to my second SDD, not my primary, my primary does not have a page file set. I don't recall doing this.

https://imgur.com/uT1V5GH

That's not a bad setup to have, this should actually speed up your system with that configuration. If it is lagging bad, it is likely due to a slow Drive. I would optimize your HDDs and TRIM your SSDs and see if that helps. You are on Windows 7, so you may want to search for a third party tool to TRIM the SSDs.

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

The Win7 option is a poor one for SSD TRIM?

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

I don't really trust or like Win 10, but I don't really see and option. Was holding off until my next build, probably in the next 12 months or so. This rig is starting to show her age. Are there any good freeware TRIM utilites? Where would be a safe place to go looking for one?

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

I'll give that a try and let you know if I see an improvement.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this.

Netskimmer

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Unfortunately, cleaning up the SSDs and HDD did not fix the problem is seems. It feels like it has something to do with steam. It will get better after a certain period of time if I minimize steam (but leave it running), but seems to get worse again if I bring it back up on the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.