[SOLVED] PC running slow and random restarts ?

Apr 4, 2022
for more than a couple months, my gaming pc has been making this grinding noise. i can’t tell if it would be the fans or something else, but performance still seemed to be fine while this happened. then recently my pc suddenly started running very slow; my mouse would be skipping and sometimes the pc would even shut down and restart by itself with no warning several times. audio began to get scratchy at times and performance was just overall insufferable.

then one day i started my pc up and everything was running just fine, which i was thankful for but was concerned as to why the lag was happening. i started up valorant which was running usually around 200-360 fps, but once these issues started happening, i had extreme frame drops constantly, down to 100 and even below that. now, my game can barely run properly as the frames drop down to 1. every time i close the game i get a bsod; i know riot’s anticheat has been giving everyone issues, so i assumed it was valorant and i stopped playing for a bit.

turns out it isn’t valorant. my pc is still making the constant scratching noise, running slow at times, and even shutting down on its own. could this be because of a faulty psu that can’t power properly, or damaged components like the motherboard? maybe some of my parts aren’t compatible with one another, which could be causing damage? i would really appreciate any help as i do not know much at all about pcs, and if i need to replace anything please let me know what exactly. thank you!

specs:
(pc built off of iBUYPOWER)

Case: AeroCool Cylon RGB Gaming Case - Black
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS GP OC (VR-Ready)
Primary Hard Drive: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Motherboard: ASROCK A320M/AC — 1x PCle x 16, 4x USB 3.1, 2x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0
Memory: 16GB [8GB x2] DDR4-3200MHz ADATA XPG
Power Supply: 650 Watt - CORSAIR RM650 - 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular

Solution
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm
many times a failing AIO pump will create a kind of grinding noise.
this generic cooler they provide gets a lot of reports of failures.
my pc is still making the constant scratching noise, running slow at times, and even shutting down on its own
if temperatures climb too high the CPU will throttle back and eventually just shutdown to avoid damage.

keep an eye on live CPU temperatures with some sort of OSD and see what you're reaching while idling and while gaming.
would really appreciate any help as i do not know much at all about pcs, and if i need to replace anything
if this system was pre-built then you will need to check the included warranty.

if still covered you...
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm
many times a failing AIO pump will create a kind of grinding noise.
this generic cooler they provide gets a lot of reports of failures.
my pc is still making the constant scratching noise, running slow at times, and even shutting down on its own
if temperatures climb too high the CPU will throttle back and eventually just shutdown to avoid damage.

keep an eye on live CPU temperatures with some sort of OSD and see what you're reaching while idling and while gaming.
would really appreciate any help as i do not know much at all about pcs, and if i need to replace anything
if this system was pre-built then you will need to check the included warranty.

if still covered you will need to contact the distributor and have it serviced.
manually replacing any included hardware will usually void any future coverage.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Solution